8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 9:52 AM by Lenny Bucholz

can i resell my license

Walter Michaud

if so have 1 2013 premiun license for sale  $ 3000.00

• Re: can i resell my license
          Lenny Bucholz

not unless you sell the total assets of your company lock stock and barrel, sorry.

and if it is a personal seat.... probably a big no.

Doyle Ramsey

you need to contact your "Value Added Reseller" ( VAR) the person who sold you the license, they are the only ones  authorized / licensed to sell Solidworks according to your license agreement that you agreed to when you first installed the software

Jeff Holliday

Lenny is correct

Colin Bosch

The company I work for in AZ purchased a seat from a previous personal user.  They fought with SW and DDI (our VAR) to transfer ownership but eventually the company/new owner was allowed to activate the SN under the new owner name.  This happened before I joined the company, but now that I've got the seat on maintenance, both SW and DDI are both happy.  After all that's where they make their money.

Lenny Bucholz

Colin Bosch wrote:

The company I work for in AZ purchased a seat from a previous personal user.  They fought with SW and DDI (our VAR) to transfer ownership but eventually the company/new owner was allowed to activate the SN under the new owner name.  This happened before I joined the company, but now that I've got the seat on maintenance, both SW and DDI are both happy.  After all that's where they make their money.

Wow when I worked there the economy was shaking and SW wouldn't budge, it was even hard to change VAR's unless it was out a state.

Wow when I worked there the economy was shaking and SW wouldn't budge, it was even hard to change VAR's unless it was out a state.

When was this, Did Moria go to bat for ya?

Colin Bosch

It happened just before I joined the company - mid 2011.  Not sure if Moria handled it but they said it took some major negotiating. I was quite surprised, didn't think transfer was possible.  Later, when I tried installing the second (laptop) seat, we discovered the original owner still had it installed.  The seller didn't realize he still had it activated and that was quickly corrected.  I think if push comes to shove, the license is a valued asset and if someone sells/buys it, the courts would probably rule in their favor.  But SW has always been very firm on not wanting to handle license exchanges so it's a buyer beware situation.

Lenny Bucholz

Colin Bosch wrote:

It happened just before I joined the company - mid 2011.  Not sure if Moria handled it but they said it took some major negotiating. I was quite surprised, didn't think transfer was possible.  Later, when I tried installing the second (laptop) seat, we discovered the original owner still had it installed.  The seller didn't realize he still had it activated and that was quickly corrected.  I think if push comes to shove, the license is a valued asset and if someone sells/buys it, the courts would probably rule in their favor.  But SW has always been very firm on not wanting to handle license exchanges so it's a buyer beware situation.

This is the issue with software, same as music, did the person\s wipe out all remaining installs of said property sold. It is better today with the online activation in the old days they used reg codes and the seat could be installed on more than 2 PC's if you had the code. Subscription gets split between the VAR and SW so for a standard seat it is about $650 each.

As for the court look how the music industry won against kind of the same thing, you can sell the DVD but who remove the music off there PC,IPOD or Smart Phones, So sure they can sell the disk but SW doesn't have to give them the code to let it run.

If you have ever had software use a dongle and had it stolen and it wasn't insured you are SOL because the dongle is what makes the software run, not the DVD, heck they will send you a new disk all day for free but the dongle cost $15k,