10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2014 5:37 PM by Paul Cullen

PDF MISSING INFORMATION

Arnold Hazlewood

Occasionaly when I save my print as a pdf, the first view I place on the print is missing.  This is annoying, however easy to see and I simply rebuild the model and resave.  Today I was givven a print that was missing some but not all of the baloons.  I have worked for this company nearly a year, and the missing view has happened I would guess a dozen times.  The missing baloons was just today.

Has this happened to anyone else?

• Re: PDF MISSING INFORMATION
            Matthew Lorono

Arnold,

Can you send me the original part, drawing and new PDF, so I can have our Development team look at this?

Matt

John Burrill

Arnold, I've seen many cases where SolidWorks renders a PDF of a drawing that's missing information. This will manifest as missing views, annotations, shaded graphics and HLR graphics.

I've generally observed that when SolidWorks is loaded heavy, PDF's generated have issues more frequently.  Particularly, SolidWorks drawings that have many sheets and views and display multiple configurations of the model are susceptible to these kinds of problems.

I've noticed that the PDF's generated automatically when a drawing is checked into Workgroup PDM have more problems then those created by the user directly saving as a PDF. 

I can venture a lot of theories about the cause, but most of those are speculative.  So here are the things I've found helpful in dealing with the issue.

1) Often, repeating the check-in process will produce a clean PDF.  This would seem to indicate that transient loads on memory, processor and hard drive caused by background processes or other programs, can affect SolidWorks writing a PDF.

2) Restarting SolidWorks and then repeating drawing check-in, or PDF writing produces a clean PDF.  This helps a lot with large drawings probably for the straightforward reason that usually when you have a big drawing open, you have a lot of sub assemblies and parts open in separate windows which can overtax the PDF writing process-especially if it's a 32bit program.  SolidWorks seems to render the PDF from the GPU display buffer instead of the disk, so having a lot of files open can cause overruns that result in truncated output or graphics that don't update.  Restarting the program not only clears memory leaks, it clears the OpenGL display list that the data doesn't go stale.

3)You can update the PDF in the WPDM vault without going through the check-in process.  As stated, saving as a PDF has a higher success rate than automatically generating one on check-in, so if you get a bad PDF, you can generate a new one from SolidWorks and replace the one in the vault through Windows explorer.  Monkeying with the vault files is dangerous so only administrators should do this.

But to look at the larger issue, if your released documents are PDF's, then the engineers should be checking those before passing them off to configuration management as released documents.  In your place, I'd take up that issue as well.

1 person found this helpful
              Paul Cullen

HI Arnold

I sometimes have trouble with saving pdf files. It seams to happen mostly with larger drawing files with lots of drawing sheets. It could drop drawing views etc from sheets. I generally do a rebuild and then save again which works most times. If the file is really large with lots of sheets I find it helps to go into the options when saving the file and reduce the dpi settings, this reduces the pdf file size and gets rid of the errors, but your drawings will not be as sharp.

Paul

1 person found this helpful