AnsweredAssumed Answered

EPDM Revision and a Revision Variable

Question asked by Jason Hogue on Aug 13, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 by David Chiles

I am trying to get my head around Revisions in EPDM. 

To clarify my understanding can anyone tell me if my following understanding is right/wrong.

Local Revisions

• There is an internal Revision scheme within EPDM, which I am calling Local Revisions as that is what is displayed in my task pane.
  • This revision scheme is automatically incremented via the Inc. Revision command in a transition
  • This variable cannot be mapped to a data card
  • It can be used for files that do not have a data card, eg PDF, work docs, non-SW files etc
  • Do I need to use this Rev scheme, can I just use my SW Revision variable (see below)

SW Revision

• This is a revision scheme I have created based on the variable Revision that I have set up within EPDM and use throughout my SW files.
  • This variable can be mapped to a data card
  • This variable can be incremented via the Set Variable-next revision command
  • This variable is not changed via the Inc. Revision command in a transition
  • Used for SW files only

Is there anyway to map the SW Revision to the Local Revision

For example:

• I have a file I want to push through my workflow
  • The file already has the SW Revision Variable set to B but the Local revision is blank
  • When pushed into a state called concept, I want both the Local Revision and the SW revision to be B

I have found a way to do this using a mass of transitions and states to define each possible rev and using multiple Inc. Revision commands, but this seems messy. 

Thanks,

Jason

Outcomes