10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 11:48 AM by Tim Webb

Can Viewer approve files

Nhat MAI

Hello,

Can EPDM Viewers approve files in a Work Flow? Our company needs more licenses for our managers to approve the ECR forms. The managers will only approve forms in EPDM, they do not need the all the functions of an Editor license.

• Re: Can Viewer approve files
          Stephen Lapic

This will have to be a No, they can't approve files.  Viewers can only look at documents and not interact.  Approving would interact by changing a state of a document.  This would be a contributor.

Jason Capriotti

That's not entirely true. The viewer license allows participating in workflows, they just can't checkout files, add files or edit data cards.

Jim Sculley

It is slightly more restrictive than that.

According to the Admin Guide:

==========================

SolidWorks Enterprise PDM Viewer

Allows read-only access to vaults. Users cannot add or modify (check out, check in,

update values) files or use CAD add-ins.

==========================

So, if a transition alters the data card, the viewer license cannot perform the transition. 

Jim S.

Nhat MAI

That isn't correct Jim, I just tried it on a couple of CAD files as a test and as long as the user on the viewer has permission to use a transition, they can change the Data Card through the transition. I just tried it on some CAD files just now. The CAD files Data Card was updated and the Signature for approval was sign updated on the CAD files.

Tim Webb

Hi Nhat,

I have found the administration guide to be very accurate in this case. I do have a couple questions for my own curiosity.

What version of EPDM is in use? When you say this was done on a Viewer license, are you absolutely sure it was on a computer that was using a Viewer client license type or was the transition done by a user in the Viewer group?

You may have discovered new information but for clarity sake on the subject, I would like to ask for a quick experiment:

1. Open the EPDM administration tool on the computer where you ran the CAD file transition as the "Viewer" and the data card updated.
                          2. Click the circular question mark (this will display which client type license is in use on that computer.
                          3. Post a screenshot of the results

See below:

epdm viewer license.jpg

These are the options available and this is one option for Administrators to change the client type license.

epdm license types.jpg

Best regards,

Tim Webb CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Nhat MAI

Untitled.jpgHello,

I am running EPDM 2014 Service Pack 2. The computer I was running was 100% the Viewer client. I think the CAD files were able to be approved because it isn't actually the user making the changes. The changes were made by the transition. The transition I set up, automatically sign the signature of the user and the date on the Data Card and 2D CAD drawing. After the transition, the Data Card was updated and I open the 2D CAD drawing and the signatures were there too!

Jason Capriotti

See "S-038653"

States that the view license and users with read-only access to a state can still transition them and have the transition perform actions that will change the data card.

Nhat MAI

Hello Jason,

You are correct. I just approved a file by transition on a viewer and the data card updated itself. this means I don't have to buy more editors. You really save us a lot of money. We were about to buy 3 more editors at $1795 each.