7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 11:17 AM by Deepak Gupta

link drawing note to custom material property

Gary Moore

I'm trying to set up my template to display a note which contains the material type and he elevant British Standard.  We're obviously going to have to set up a custom materials file as the standard one wouldn't support this because of how the material properties are configured.  We think we've found a work around based on advice from various forums and instinct but I can't make it work.

I've setup a custom property for the material with he property name British Standard and the Value BS EN 85: 2005

Materials.png

and I've set up a custom property in the template

Template Custom property.png

and pointed he note at it

Link to property.png

but when I use the template to create a drawing

Drawing Sheet.png

the note just comes up blank.

What am I doing wrong?  Any pointers gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Gary

*All pics redacted to protect identities.

• Re: link drawing note to custom material property
          Deepak Gupta

Did you create that property in the part OR drawing (you second picture suggest it is a drawing since there is no configuration tab).

On the top there is current limitation to link material properties in notes, etc. Even if you look at the second  picture, you can see that evaluated value is same as your value/text expression.

So you only option is to create that property value manually in the custom/configuration tab as required.

Gary Moore

The property was created in the part and is now part of the materials database so it's like that in any new part.  I assume there's no configuration tab as there's no configuration options?

Deepak Gupta wrote:

On the top there is current limitation to link material properties in notes, etc. Even if you look at the second  picture, you can see that evaluated value is same as your value/text expression.

So you only option is to create that property value manually in the custom/configuration tab as required.

Sorry I've no idea what you're trying to say here, I expect because I don't know your technical terms you're using.

IE

• On the top there is current limitation to link material properties in notes - errr ?
              • evaluated value - what's an evaluated value?
              • value/text expression - what's a value/text expression?

Sorry, I'm self taught and don't know the correct terms for everything.

Deepak Gupta

The property was created in the part and is now part of the materials database so it's like that in any new part.  I assume there's no configuration tab as there's no configuration options?

There is always one configuration is part so you should see that ta.If you're not seeing that tab in you part file, then report the issue to your VAR. You can check this by restarting SW and opening the same file or a different file to check.

I mean to say that currently SOLIDWORKS doesn't allow to link the custom property value to the material property like you've defined. You can only link to material name.

I mean to say that for Custom Property "British Standard" put the value as BS EN 85: 2005 instead of "SW-British Standard@Part1.SLDPRT"

Value/Text expression: The value assigned to any custom/configuration Property.

Evaluated value: The value generated from the assigned Value/Text expression

Check attached picture for more clarifications.

Hope this is clear.