8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 5:22 PM by Lenny Bucholz

importing solid edge files

Ajita Patel

how can i import solid edge part file, assembly & dft file in solid works 2013

• Re: importing solid edge files
            Evan Dlugopolski

If you still have issues with this then try getting .stp or .iges files of the solid edge part you are trying to open.  If you have solid edge then save them as one of these file types or if the model is from a customer, supplier, etc then see if you can have them send the models as .stp or .iges files for this instance and in the future.

Ajita Patel

we r end user of solid edge, we recently bought solid works 2013 so we have all our drawings in solid edge so basically we want to covert all drawing file into solid works with all features and assembly constraints.

Evan Dlugopolski

This is impossible.  There is not one instance in the 3D modeling world (that I am aware of) where you can get a model from one program (solidedge for example) and open it with other (solidworks) with the feature tree, mates, etc. still in tact. 

Your only option to get anything remotely closest to what you want in solidworks is "feature recognition".

When you open a .step, .iges, or any other parasolid file not mentioned here that solidworks can convert to a part file, it will ask if you would like to run feature recognition.   You can give it a try but I and no one I have talked to are a fan of this feature.

Lenny Bucholz

Ajita Patel wrote:

we r end user of solid edge, we recently bought solid works 2013 so we have all our drawings in solid edge so basically we want to covert all drawing file into solid works with all features and assembly constraints.

Drawings will never come over to SW from any solid modeler unless you convert them to DWG\DXF and open them that way.

As for solids you will get those into a part or assembly, but they will be what are called "Dumb solids" no features just a solid blob, hence FeatureWorks, you may get 100% of your features or 10% depends on the complexity of the imported part, FeatureWorks does mostly prismatic and you have to think in reverse on how a part is made, like fillets and holes are first and  you down to extrudes and revolves.

Now If you have inventor on the same system as SW it should bring in the feature so the help file says. doesn't help for edge file.

Lenny Bucholz

parasolids are better as edge\nx use parasolids as their kernal, by the way SW buys the parasolid kernel from them.