9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 12:07 PM by Jamil Snead

Forum - Search engine not very effective

Jamil Snead

I know this was mentioned here Forum - Comments but I thought it deserved its own discussion. I don't really know a better way to put it besides the search results on this forum suck.

For example, I search for "mirror same item number bom" (quotes not in search) and sort by newest first, because I remember there was a discussion about this in the last month or so. But the results don't contain most of the words I searched for! For example right now the top result is AMD FirePro M6100 Fire GL V locks up , and that discussion doesn't contain the words "mirror", "item", "number", or "bom" (although it has the word "bomb"). The only word from my search that discussion has is "same". So it seems to me like the search engine just returns any result that has ANY of the search words rather than all or most of the search words. I tried repeating the search with "mirror+same+item+number+bom" (again, quotes not in the search) but the results are the same.

In other words the results are useless, unless you are doing a one-word search. Sorting by relevance shows better results but they can be from years ago. There is a reason for the newest first option, because sometimes someone might want to look at only recent discussions, but as is that functionality is useless.

I have two suggestions. Either make an option that the results must contain ALL of the search terms, or have a search filter for a range of dates.