11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 6:47 PM by J. Mather

Belly Pan

Chris Scheer

Attached is a PDF of a belly pan I created using CAD software.  I want to be able to create this using Solidworks.  I want to be able to flatten it into 4 separate pieces.

To create the belly pan in Solidworks, I've simply "extruded" a rectangle, "extruded cut" the angles I wanted, and shelled it, then I tried converting it to sheet metal, but I can't seem to get it to flatten or cut  the way I want.. Like the attachment.  Not sure if this all makes since, or if I should be tackling this different all together.

Thanks

Chris

• Re: Belly Pan
          Jamil Snead

The approach sort of depends on if you want this to be made out of one sheet metal piece that is bent, or if you want to make it out of 4 separate pieces that are joined together (as the pdf would imply).

If you want it to be made form 4 separate pieces I would just model each one in its own part model by sketching the profile and using the Base Flange/Tab feature to make it sheet metal. Then you could join them in an assembly.

If you want it made out of one piece that is bent, I'd suggest looking into lofted bends. The trick thing with your belly pan, though, is that it comes to a point at the bottom. With the lofted bend I think you'd need a small opening in the bottom. Another option would be to do your same approach where you model it solid, but then cut off the tip where the faces all meet. Then you can convert to sheet metal even without doing a shell first.

Chris Scheer

Thanks for the suggestions Jamil.

I do want to keep it 4 separate pieces.. That's how we've always ordered/received it.. In 4 pieces. (We order cut/formed metal and weld it up in our shop).

Jamil Snead

In that case like I said before I would model each piece on its own from the dimensions you have, well actually two of the sides are identical, so model 3 pieces. Then put them together in an assembly. You can make a configuration in the assembly with them assembled and a configuration where you position them all lying flat if you want to show that on a drawing.

J. Mather

I would model in one multi-body solid part file.

Loft Rectangle to Point as surface body. (very easy)

Thicken the 4 panels. (to the outside)

Push out the individual solids if needed, '

otherwise simply generate the 2D flat views.

What version of SolidWorks are you using?

Can you attach your attempt here?

Chris Scheer

I'm not familiar with "multi-body" parts yet.. I'm pretty new with Solidworks, but that sounds like it might be a good option...

OH.. I have latest version of SW ('14)

J. Mather

Note that all dimensions to define the part except for thickness (which you didn't supply) are in Sketch1 (there are only 4 dimensions).

Note also, that by using Geometry to solve the problem - the actual depth is 23.73", not 24".

If the design intent is for 24 inches, you must indicate that and the model can be adjusted by removing those seam lengths and let the geometry solve the lengths.

The usual method to design something like this - is not to go from flats, but rather, use your intended finished dimensions to model - and then let SolidWorks figure out the size of the flats.