9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 3:53 PM by Patrick O'Hern

Simple Static Study

Brandan Philbrook

I have ran and been successful at numerous solidworks simulations, many of which have been more advanced than this, and all in version 2013. However, 2014 seems to be giving me trouble. I have an I beam that is supported at 3 lengths

Here is what my full assembly looks like:

2.jpg

Below is an image of a simulation study I want to run. It is 1 of 2 I-beams that support the Total Weight Rating (20,000lbs). I figured the force by simply taking 10,000lbs/35ft which is roughly 285lbs/ft and applying it to the top face of the Beam. I have tried the following scenarios for the fixed geometry, all which either the mesh fails, or the simulation is terminated:

• Made separate parts at the places I want to be fixed
      • Simply adding an extrusion onto the beam with a lip overhang (merged and unmerged result) at the places I want to be fixed so I can select the touching faces can be selected as a contact
      • A mixture/combination of other fixture scenarios

Below is the force diagram on the beam that I am shooting for, attached is the assembly

3.jpg

• Re: Simple Static Study
          Jared Conway

you need to post a pack and go of the model, only the SLDASM was sent, none of the parts that go with it so it can't be opened to check it out.

just based on the graphics, it looks like to me you should start by building a simplified rep to get your head wrapped around the beam and mixed meshing

Brandan Philbrook

Like I said, I have done various simulations in 2013, but never in Solidworks 2014. This is the only discrepancy I can find given I have tried many scenarios in the static simulation.

In the screenshot below:

• The fixed locations are the same material as the supports in the assembly (6061 Alloy)
            • A contact set is established between the top face of the fixed locations, and the bottom face of the I-Beam
            • A force of 10000 lbs / 35 ft is normal to the top face of the I-Beam (-Y direction)

4.jpg

Brandan Philbrook

Ok, I will use solid elements. So what I understand is in order to run my simulation, I have to suppress cut-extrudes in the beam. In other words, my overall goal isn't achievable through a simulation study in 2014. I did the same test to this beam in '13 about a year ago and generated the results I was after.

Jared Conway

if you want to use beams, you need to suppress all the features because the beam is assumed to be a constant shape. like a sweep almost. (note, there are some special exceptions here but they don't apply to your case)

if you want to use solids, you can have any holes that you want in it. but only keep the ones that are important. otherwise you're wasting computational time on things that might not affect your results or that you don't care about.

i think we're missing 2 things:

1. what exactly did you do in 2013?

2. what exactly is your goal of the analysis?

there should be no difference between 2013 and 2014 if you are using the exact same model and method.

i opened the simplified version that you posted in 2014 sp4.0

first thing i looked for was a study in the sldasm, there was none

so i dug into the beam part, every element had a red X on it indicating an error

the faces for loads and restraints were missing their references

i fixed that and the model ran fine with solid elements

can you open that model, go to tools > options > system options > performance and enable verification on rebuild then go into the model and perform a CTRL-Q to see if you get the same errors?

Patrick O'Hern

I wasn't suggesting you suppress all of the holes permanently.  Just so that you can narrow down what is causing your mesh to fail.  Once you can find that, you can hopefully repair the problem, and then bring the other holes back.  Hopefully whatever is causing the mesh failure isn't something that will really effect the results, and you can just leave it suppressed.