8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2014 8:06 AM by David Sloop

Benefits of Draftsight over SolidWorks?

John Zheng

I installed Solidworks and am currently importing .dwg's into Solidworks. I was recommended using Draftsight for modifying the .dwg's, but after trialing it, I'm not sure what the advantages are. If anyone has more information, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS - Does Draftsight(or premium version) work with EPDM?

• Re: Benefits of Draftsight over SolidWorks?
          Sean O'Neill

Hey John,

I'll answer one of your questions here:

Q: "Does Draftsight(or premium version) work with EPDM?"

A: Yes, you can download and install a DraftSight EPDM Add-in that gives you the ability to do things like check in and out of the vault. It's like the Office Add-in in that it's a separate download and install, but I have seen it work quite well.

Hope this helps!

-Sean

1 person found this helpful
            John Robert Burrill

Hi John,

It's not a this-or-that choice between Draftsight and SolidWorks for working with DWG data.  They work well together.

I use Draftsight to edit PCB layouts that we receive as DXF files.  I'll remove the border and title from the board drawing, position the geometry at the origin, purge the drawing of unused blocks and layers so that when I  import the layout into SolidWorks I don't have to mess around with sketch relations and the like.

I also use Draftsight to make sure my exported DWG's and DXF's are suitable for manufacturing and graphic layout.  Usually this involves removing duplicate lines, changing layers, line types and colors to something easily readable and moving the exported vectors to the origin.  This is really important for box layouts, labels

1 person found this helpful
                John Zheng

Hi John,

Based on your comment, there's additional functionality in Draftsight; such as purging unused blocks and layers. Is there a guide for working with blocks and layers in Draftsight? I've been having problems with imported blocks and I've mostly been experimenting with random solutions.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask,I'm still new to the forums.

Thank you!

Walter Fetsch

The purpose of Draftsight is editing and creating 2D Autocad drawings (.dwg).  The purpose of Solidworks is editing and creating 3D models.  These are totally different functions.

David Sloop

But if you're like me and haven't used Autocad regularly since college, than editing Autocad drawings inside of Solidworks using familiar Solidworks commands is handy.

I don't use Draftsight often enough to do more than move stuff or edit text very efficiently. I definately don't remember all of the commands.

I've tried editing Autocad files in Solidworks, and it has some issues, but is doable. With some more time to experiment, I think it might be a valid option.

Glenn Schroeder

I believe that people who say it's better to modify SW drawings in Draftsight (or AutoCAD) are often those who have an AutoCAD background, and are more comfortable working with drawings in that format, which is certainly understandable.  I've also seen and heard comments that the AutoCAD drawing environment will let you do things that you can't do with SW.  I don't have the AutoCAD background, so I'm not qualified to address that issue.

I will state that I've been creating models and drawings with SW for 5 or 6 years now, and can't imagine converting them to AutoCAD to produce the final version.  And I'll be the first to agree with anyone who says that's only because that's what I'm familiar with.  I just don't know of any reason that I'd want to.  I can change line types, line weights, and layers enough for my needs.

If you do use that workflow, one thing to keep in mind is that your drawing will lose all connection to the model, so later edits to the model will not be reflected in the .dwg.  That's losing one big advantage of working with SW drawings.

David Sloop

I would never make an Autocad drawing from a Solidworks model.

The only things we use Autocad (Draftsight) for is schematics, decals, and such things. (and we're transitioning to making them in Solidworks) and modifying old Autocad drawings (from before we switched to Solidworks)

I see no reason why anyone would want to make Autocad drawings from Solidworks models.