7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 9:57 AM by John Stoltzfus

Pack & Go - Breaking External Reference

John Stoltzfus

Good morning -

I have been having issues with the Pack & Go, I'll try my best explaining it.  First I start off using a Sketch Part that consists of Sketches, Points, Planes and Axis or whatever else is required.  I build my entire assembly off of that sketch part, so if there are any changes I go to the Sketch Part and make my changes there.  This all works great, however I use the same Assembly file to do a Pack & Go - this "New" pack and go is used for another size or model, and if everything works well all I have to do is change my plan view dimensions and everything changes accordingly.  The Pack & Go feature was working great, however I started to have issues with the assemblies keeping the links to the original file - so when I make changes to the "New" assembly it doesn't allow me to do it, because it is still linked to the old file.  So I tried to "Break External Links" then I really lost it, because all links are broken, so the one assembly I could change the Sketch Part however I needed to go to the affected part and edit the sketch by removing the sketch relations.

Is there a setting that I should change in my Options??

Thanks,

John Stoltzfus

johns@keystonecollections.com

• Re: Pack & Go - Breaking External Reference
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't use that workflow, but I'll try to offer a couple of suggestions.  I use Pack and Go on almost every project, often multiple times, and I've never run into that issue.  I always Pack and Go to a different folder, and if I'm going to be making changes to a component I try to remember to re-name it as part of the Pack and Go process.  Are you doing both of these?

And for a unrelated question, may I ask why you're using a Part to build your Assembly from?  Everything you listed that's in the Part (sketch, point, plane, axis) could also be in an Assembly.  That would eliminate one Part, you could do the edits directly in the Assembly, and it may be more stable overall.

Nathan Rollins

I agree with Glenn - It really looks like a folder issue.  I always create a new folder and pack-n-go to there.  I never have a references issue if everything is kept in separate folders. 

The catch is if you do NOT rename the files with the pack-n-go, and you have the original assembly or sketch part open, that open file will drive the design and the "packed-n-went" one will not be opened.  There is a file search hierarchy that may come into play with your methods.  Be sure to have nothing else open when you open the assy you want to modify.

-Nate

John Stoltzfus

Hi Glenn,

When I do a pack & go I have always saved it to a separate folder - within the Job folder.  As for the part verses assembly approach in;  What I like about using the Part Sketch - If I have multiple assemblies I always use the same Sketch Part - then I can work on any assembly independently and they snap in place.  Plus if I am doing a similar assembly all I do is Pack & Go using the search and replace and all my drawings and part numbers change, the only thing I need to do is make a few minor changes and I'm done.  This could also be done using your method, however if the links don't totally break it comes back to what I'm experiencing.

I have used this process for many years, however just lately it has given me fits, so I was thinking it might be a setting in options that I need to check or un-check.

Thanks,

John