10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 2:40 PM by Lee S

Sketch tab missing commands..

Lee S

Hi,

I had a similar problem before where the command manager went missing. See correct answer in link:

Command Manager has disappeared

SW crashed on me yesterday and I followed the steps outlined that solved the problem before. Now there are sketch commands missing from the command tab.

Anyone any ideas on how to get them back into the command tab the way they were as with the features tab, sheetmetal tab etc. I don't know why the sketch ones are missing but they are. I can add a command  bar in the taskbar using the tools menu but the icons are smaller, the other way was better and it was the factory default setting so they should be there( See attached .jpeg)

One other thing is that on opening SW the New Part Document option does not appear. You have to select File > New or Open. (See attached .jpeg)

Command Manager has been selected on Main Toolbar in the SW Interface. The problem seems to in the data files.

These settings should have been restored to factory default when renaming SW file in registry settings and reopening SW as per link above and had worked before. It seems something is wrong.

I still have the renamed Soldworks file ( called Solidworks_corrupt) in the registry settings aswell as the new Solidworks file that was created after I renamed the old one to Solidworks_corrupt. Should I delete

Solidworks_corrupt? Not sure

Anyone any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks

Lee

• Re: Sketch tab missing commands..
          Deepak Gupta

Open a file and go to Tools > Customize. Click on Reset to Defaults. Does this help??

Lee S

Didn't do anything..

Nicholas Luyster

Hi Lee,

To add the sketch bits, you can go to tools, customize as Deepak suggested and then select commands.  Go to sketch commands and drag and drop the commands you want onto the command manager.

If the registry file is, in fact corrupt, then you can delete.  Otherwise, it really doesn't matter.

If the factory default is messed up (after renaming the registry), you may have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall. You may find that this is the best way to go.

I hope this helps.  This is always tough when this sort of thing happens.

All the best,

Nick

SolidWorks Simulation Training

Lee S

HI Nick,

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful as I don't know much about the registry so I try not to go at it if I can. It's really annoying when SW goes off on one especially when you have to go messing with registry files. I suppose I will just have to add the commands that are missing as I don't want to go the uninstall/install route either, I just hope SW doesn't throw another hissy fit on me, I do be sweating buckets when it crashes cos you don't know if it's a small thing or a big thing.

Cheers

Lee

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Lee,

The buttons that are missing are the "Hard Coded Flyouts" as documented in this blog post: Technical Tip: Flyout Tool Buttons

This rarely happens, but when it does, it is usually due to the registry for SOLIDWORKS somehow becoming corrupt. There is no other way to fix the problem other than to have the system think you are a new user and have it create a new registry for you. If you've gone through the whole process to create a new registry as per that other post, I am not sure how it would continue to be a problem unless something along the way went wrong so you didn't really create a new registry. An easy way to reset the registry for your current account is to go into the registry editor and go into HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks and then rename the key for the version you are running to something else (i.e. rename SolidWorks 2014 to SolidWorks 2014_old or something like that. Then restart SOLIDWORKS and it should create a new registry as if you just installed the software. As Deepak says, once you go through all of your customization, etc. then use the Copy Settings Wizard to save out a copy so if this ever happens again, you can just restore the settings.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Lee S

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. I tried creating a new PC account profile and opening Solidworks from the new PC profile account. I opened Solidworks from there and the same problem existed. So I tried just renaming the current registry to Solidworks_corrupt from my original PC account profile, opened Solidworks and the problem was still there. Don't know how or why it happened but as you said creating a new registry should fix the problem as it had done before. The last time all of the "Hard Coded Flyouts" disappeared completely and as per the other post I listed I followed the steps and they all came back. This time only the sketch menu has been affected and renaming the registry didn't fix it.

One question can I delete the registry called "Solidworks_corrupt"? I take it that it's obsolete now and of no use?

Thanks

Lee

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Lee,

It is more than just your sketch CommandManager tab that has the issue. You mentioned the open button missing from the "menu bar" and in your image, many others are also missing (new, save, select, etc.). Also, you mention fillet being missing from features. All of these are "hard coded" callouts. My guess is not only did HKEY_CURRENT_USER get corrupt, but HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE also got corrupt. You see, HKEY_CURRENT_USER is populated from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on startup for a new account and that does not seem to be working. If HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is really corrupt, you may have other problems running the software so I wouldn't suggest trying to "hack" it together. I would suggest doing a full uninstall and reinstall of the software to make sure everything gets put back in order.

Thanks,

Jim

Lee S

HI Jim,

When it crashed on me the other day I went to Features and Programs in the Control Panel. I selected "repair" to try and repair any issues that Solidworks was having due to the crash. I kept getting a windows "error 1721" which I found out to be an installation problem that showed up. SW wouldn't open then, so I tried to repair it from inside SW itself and everything went ok, but SW still wouldn't open up, then I remember the post for SW crashing before and tried that and it worked.

When I saw the 1721 error I thought I can't uninstall/reinstall because it might not re-install at all.The time it takes to perform these operations is too time consuming to just try and see if it works or just to get error 1721 up again.

The open button is not missing from the menu bar it's there alright, the window that pops up when you run SW that has Part, Drawing, Assembly buttons, that has stopped popping up. There is a problem somewhere and what you said about the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE makes sense but from here I think I will just have to leave it as is and work with what I have. Hopefully nothing else will happen to it .

I can't install SW 2014 because Microsoft decided not to support Vista or XP since 2012/13 and subsequently SW 2014 doesn't run on these OS.

Thanks

Lee