6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 10:23 AM by Eric Salvo

Solidworks locking up when I drag a toolbar?

Eric Salvo

With my old computer and Solidworks 2013, it would lock up for exactly 90 seconds every time I dragged a toolbar. This happened even if I only dragged it a tiny fraction of an inch by accident. Now I have a brand new, much faster computer with 2014 SP4.0 and it still does the same thing, but for 45 seconds. IE9 is installed but disabled.

Is there a way to lock the toolbars that I don't know about?

Thanks for any replies.

• Re: Solidworks locking up when I drag a toolbar?
          Sean O'Neill

Hi Eric,

The toolbars should all be pretty much 'locked' by default, unless they are unhooked. I wrote a blog post about a year or so ago on how to redock it:

» Where is my Command Manager? Prism Engineering SOLIDWORKS, Mastercam, and Stratasys 3D Printing Resources

I'd also check to see if you have the latest driver installed for your card. You can look this up on the SolidWorks website.

Hope this helps!

-Sean

Eric Salvo

Thanks for the reply Sean. That link doesn't address what is happening here though. I'll try to attach a couple screen shots. The first is my normal work space. The second shows it locked up after I dragged a toolbar about 1/4 inch, indicated by the arrow.

View>Workspace>Default brings up more stuff that I didn't want. I also just updated the graphics card driver and rebooted with no effect. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have a habit of accidentally hitting the edge of a tool bar and dragging it just a hair, which locks it up for 45 seconds.

Thanks again.

Edited to add: It also takes exactly 45 seconds for Solidworks to close from the time exit is clicked, even if all files have been saved and closed first. Is this typical?

SW-desktop.jpgSW-desktop-locked.jpg

Sean O'Neill

It appears you have tons of toolbars by "Default," which is abnormal. Considering your other issues, I might try a registry rename as a quick potential fix if you're comfortable there.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks

If this doesn't work, I'd probably contact the VAR. ;-)

Eric Salvo

I'm a bit confused by your answer. The reason I have "tons of toolbars" is because that is how I set up my templates at least 7 or 8 years ago. I do not like the command manager at all and prefer to have the screen set up with all those toolbars. Now it causes problems? I may end up trying to create new templates and settings as a fresh re-install seems to have fixed it until I open my settings file or link to my templates. Kind of strange that they are causing problems now after all this time.

Sean O'Neill

Hey Eric,

At a general level, templates don't control your toolbar layouts. Your toolbar layouts are products of your registry. Part, drawing and assembly templates mostly control what appear as Document Properties -- not whether your Command Manager is shown or hidden. When you upgrade from one version of a piece of software to the next (as compared to installing cleanly each time), there are definitely times when certain systems struggle to handle this at a registry level. This is where you can start to see oddities.

I haven't seen your problem first hand, so I'm mostly speaking from my best perception of what may be going on.

Hope this helps!

-Sean

Eric Salvo

Thank you. I seem to have learned a bit about how Solidworks functions in the past few days. Evidently I can use my old templates and keyboard shortcuts, but nothing else. I just need to re-create my toolbar layout and the rest of the settings and save them.

If I open a saved setting sldreg file the problem resurfaces. By opening a blank sldreg that was saved immediately after reinstalling Solidworks, the problem disappears. It will be a bit of work but at least I know what is going on now.

Thanks again!