6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 4:23 AM by Einar Gulbrandsen

Undo Check-Out ramifications

Rob D

So I have some questions about the "Undo Check-Out" option by admins. I understand that it restores the last checked in version and loses any information/changes since the check out.

What happens to the user it is "undone" from? I guess to set up a practical scenario:

Bob checked out File1.sldprt

Bob added puller groove to File1.sldprt

Bob went on vacation - left file checked out

Tim the admin requested by management to get the files from Bob's system. Admin does the undo check out.

Bob comes back from vacation.

What does Bob see? I understand this sounds like a weird riddle, but I want to make sure Bob won't still have that version he checked out and is now out of date on his local machine. Does the "Undo check out" pull the file from the local machine?

Thank you,

Rob

---

System info:

EPDM 2014

SW 2014

Windows environment

---

• Re: Undo Check-Out ramifications
          Einar Gulbrandsen

"Undo check out" is safe to use if you for some reason can't check in the file.

For Bob the file will appear not checked out, so any changes he has done will be lost.

He will have to check out the file again to do any changes.

Typical I do this when ppl leaves the company, on vacation etc.

Rob D

Einar Gulbrandsen wrote:

What do you mean by this? Why would we not be able to check in the file?

Thank you,

Rob

Einar Gulbrandsen

Rob D wrote:

Einar Gulbrandsen wrote:

What do you mean by this? Why would we not be able to check in the file?

some examples here:

• when someone is on vacation etc and you don't have access to their PC
                  • when the disc crashes or laptop got stolen
                  • the user quits the company and the user account is deleted when there are still checked out files.
                Stephen Lapic

Wouldn't Bob see that his local file is not up to date?  Even if he just opened up SolidWorks and opened it from his last used files it would still show as he is not working to the latest.  Plus it would not be checked out by him, so even if he opened it that way it would be shown as a read only file.  Of course, if he looked for it in the vault it would show him that he is working on 3/5 or whatever version.

Rob D

Stephen Lapic wrote:

Plus it would not be checked out by him, so even if he opened it that way it would be shown as a read only file. 

This is what I was getting at. Does the local file on Bob's machine get wiped and it's like nothing ever happened for him, or does he still have that local file he can work with?

We're currently in Dev and don't have the ability to test this one.

Thank you,

Rob