3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 4:53 AM by Andries Koorzen

How do I create a Custom Materials Library in my Vault for all editors to reference one library?

Graham Wells

Hi All

How can I create a custom materials library inside a vault that all the editors can access?

I have tried changing the SW settings > File Locations > Material Database to reference the files that I have copied from C:Program data>Solidworks>Custom Materials to the vault.

I also deleted the .sldmat file from the local drive location.

As soon as I add a new custom property and save the changes, a new .sldmat file is created locally where I deleted the file from and not within the vault location my file location settings are pointing to.

Any suggestions?

Ty.

• Re: How do I create a Custom Materials Library in my Vault for all editors to reference one library?
          Stephen Lapic

Did you follow the instructions on how to create a material library>

Creating a Material Library

A material library is a database containing information about each material. SolidWorks provides a read-only library, SolidWorks Materials, and a library in which you can create custom materials, Custom Materials. You can create additional libraries to store custom materials.

To create a library:

1. In a part document, right-click Material in the FeatureManager design tree and select Edit Material.  
          2. In the Material dialog box, right-click any item in the material tree and select New Library. 
          3. In the Save As dialog box, provide a file name in which to store the library.  
            Use a meaningful name. The name you provide becomes the display name for the library. You cannot rename it later.
          4. Right-click the new library in the material tree, select New Category, and type a name for the category.

You can now copy materials from other libraries in the material tree, paste them into the category, and customize them.

Make sure all of your editors have permissions to the location and that whenever you update your library they get latest.

• Re: How do I create a Custom Materials Library in my Vault for all editors to reference one library?
            Faur Arama

Graham,

As Stephen write in his post first you must create this sldmat file that contains your material library. This file can be used (moved) in EPDM.

In EPDM you add or assign a category for this file, make an workflow and give rights for users so on as you made for all files that are managed in EPDM.make a modi

One drawback is that every time you make a modification you must checkout the file. If you use 2014 version, you can check "Refresh cache during login". Using this option all users get the latest version of this file on login.

Andries Koorzen

Hi Graham.

Remember to move the material db to the top of the list of locations in your SW options

MatdbLocationOnTop.png