14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 1:27 PM by Eric Fox

Why wont this mate work?

Anthony Irwin

I've drawn all 3 nipples the same way, and in the assembly, all but one nipple has been able to be mated the same way.

I click the OD of the nipple and mateit with the ID of the hole it's going into. Then I mate the ID of the main pipe with the cut face of the nipple and everything works fine.

But for the 3/8 nipple I CANNOT get it to mate the same way as the other 3, it tells me the mate will be undefined.

• Re: Why wont this mate work?
          Anthony Irwin

This is really starting to get to me. For the 1/4" and 1/2" nipples I have done the exact same thing but the 3/8" nipple WILL NOT mate with the 3/8" hole the same way as the others. wtf...

Anthony Irwin

Recovery Manifold.sldasm is the assembly I'm working with

Kelef Man

hei'ya Anthony,

check out att-assy file

the ext-cut sketch on the manifold was not on x '0'

if you try to force the concentric mate,

you get the warning that it is angular not correct

hope this helps- have a good'n kelef

Anthony Irwin

I don't fully follow.... How did you find out that it was not on x0 and how do I fix my model??

I don't see anything out of line.

Eric Fox

See my screenshot. You don't have the centerpoints of any of your circle sketches aligned along the axis of the Manifold. Notice the offset between the centerline coming straight down along the axis & the centerpoint of your circle.

Offset.JPG

Anthony Irwin

I wonder how that happened?? I thought it was aligned.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting back into using solidworks.... it's been about 2 years since I used it and even then I really only learned some basic stuff in my courses.

Christopher Estelow

If the sketch is blue that means it is not fully defined and it will say underdefined in the bottom right corner of the program.  You should always make sure your sketches are fully defined so nothing can be moved accidentilly.

Chris

Eric Fox

Very good advice. Each of the ext-cut features have underdefined sketches.

Also, you don't need either of the two sketches on the end of the manifold (the ones used to define your left/right planes. You could have sketched on the right plane and extruded up to the outer surface of the manifold. This would reduce the feature tree by two planes, and two sketches. Just some food for thought...

Anthony Irwin

I was never taught that blue sketches mean underdefined..... that's really good to know.

Eric, which two sketches on the end? the centerlines? I'll see if I can manage to do what you're saying.

I'll say this though, it isn't exactly like riding a bike, I seem to have lost a lot of what little skill I did have lol.

Eric Fox

Anthony,

Yup, I was referencing your two centerline sketches, as well as the left/right planes that reference the sketches, as not being needed.

What you could do is create your sketches on the main Right Plane, then do a extruded cut to the outer surface of the manifold (using the 'up to surface' end condition). Let me know if this doesn't make sense, and I'll edit the parts I've downloaded to show you what I mean.

I know what you mean though, it doesn't come back as quickly as you'd think, but you'll get there. After a few weeks of use, you'll be right back in the swing of things.

EDIT:

It only took a min or so, so I updated your file. Check out the attachment.

Anthony Irwin

I just finished doing the exact thing you said I like it much better. those lines and planes are gone and I've achieved the same result.

I added a vertical relation between the circle center points and the origin point and also added dimensions from the top/bottom of the manifold to the centerpoints as well but my circles are still blue.

It's amazing how complex it can be to draw just a simple part lol.

Eric Fox

Did you dimension the diameter of the circles since you've updated the part? One of the sketches didn't have these dimensioned previously. The relations and dimensions you mention above should take care of all location issues, it sounds like all you have left is to control the size.

And yes, things can get complex very quickly, which is why you should try to reduce the overall number of sketches/features required to make your part (i.e. removing the ref planes and sketches from the previous version).

Christopher Estelow

Anthony Irwin wrote:

I was never taught that blue sketches mean underdefined..... that's really good to know.

One other bit of advice I can give you for your sketches is that  centerlines and relations are your friend.  They can help reduce the  amount of dimensions on a sketch and make it cleaner looking overall.   Say you are trying to make a hole in the center of a rectangular side of  an extruded block.  All you have to do is a centerline from both edges  and put the circle at the intersection of the two lines and it will be  in the center.  The good thing about this is if you change the size of  the block it will still be centered (see below).

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Chris

Kelef Man

hei'ya Anthony,

see scrnsht below

the forced concentric mate error

shows Angular displacement

mate-error.jpg

so by checking the items , sketch4, you see below,

the status bar shows X is not at '0',

also the circle parameters

status-bar.jpg

if your display does not show the status bar at the bottom,

go to "Title bar Menu>View>Status Bar" and toggle 'On'

hope this helps- have a good'n kelef