I have an old Word document in my vault that I need to update. I wish to save this as a .docx instead of the original .doc but I'm not sure how to go about this while retaining history. Has anyone done this before?
Try drag and dropping it into the vault and overwrite the vault copy. I got a weird message about the file being in use when I tried to "Save as" the desktop copy over the vault file.
Save the updated file outside of EPDM
In EPDM rename the old file changing it's extension to docx.
Checkout the old file and overwrite it with the new one.
That would have been the obvious way if it worked but it doesn't. You get the message that by changing the extension you will make it unstable and it may not work. I tried and it doesn't work. And if you do a 'save as' the original file doesn't show up to be written over.
You should be able to just accept it regardless of the message. I think the message is more scary sounding than it actually it. We do this sometimes to change from say an older AutoCAD drawing to SolidWorks. There is a downside though, if you retrieve the older version, it leaves it the new extension so the file won't open as its still associated to the new file extension and the program that goes with it.
Unfortunately, this won't work in Word. When I try it I get this error message "Word cannot open the file because the file format does not match the file extension." You can only click OK and then you have a blank screen.
It works....here's the workflow I followed:
File should open fine afterwards. You have to the Save As and change the file type for it to convert it to the new Word format.
@Faur and @Jason had the right idea. I concur. I've tested and it works
It does work, and it will also show in the file history that the file was renamed from *.doc to *.docx. Also, renaming the file back to *.doc should work. It works in Windows Explorer, so the same should apply (and does!) in EPDM
Sorry guys, but it doesn't work for me.
I checked the original out, opened it up and did a save as docx on my desktop. Then I renamed the original file and got first error message noted above. I then opened the docx on my desktop and did a save as and selected the renamed file in the vault and accepted it as a replace file. I closed out my Word files and then opened the renamed file and I got the second error message and the file did not work.
I tried this with a second doc file that needed to be updated with the same results. All I know about the original files is that they were done in Word 93 five or so years ago and they have been periodically updated but always saved as a doc and not docx.
OK , That's really weird, but it worked. I tried it on both files.
Retrieving data ...