4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 4:34 PM by Jamil Snead

Advanced GD&T

Frank Hewes

I need to place a bidirectional positional tolerance on a circle (more tolerance in the X position than the Y position) in SW2011-SP5.

In ASME Y14.5-2009 it is shown with linear dimensions on the circle in question both horizontally and vertically and the feature control frames replacing the dimension value (ref. section 7.4.4).

This is as close as I've been able to get.

Capture.JPG

Does anyone know how to get the feature control frames to line up correctly so the print looks more "professional"?

• Re: Advanced GD&T
          Jamil Snead

For the top one, I was able to get it to display better. Start with the feature control frame in between the extension lines. Move your mouse over it near the bottom so that only the FCF is highlighted orange and not the dimension arrows. Then click and drag the FCF off to the side and it should look like this:

fcf.PNG

You can do the same for the horizontal one too.

fcf2.PNG

But if you wanted the FCF between the extension lines I don't know how to get rid of that gap. The best I could offer is for the horizontal one when you are editing the FCF there is a box for text below the frame.

fcf3.png

If you put a space in here it will put a gap below the frame and at least it will be even above and below.

fcf4.png

Jamil Snead

I just thought of a better solution for the horizontal one. Don't put any space below the frame, instead click the dimension arrow and edit the font of the dimension. Change the text height to .001 or something and the gap will disappear.

fcf5.png

But that will only work for the horizontal one, not the vertical. If you do the same thing to the vertical one the frame stays below the dimension lines, although it doesn't look that bad.

fcf6.png

Elmar Klammer

Delete the <DIM> from your dimension and add enough space to span the width of your GT symbol. Then move it in the center of you horizontal dimension and group them together. Then you get what you want.