2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 3:19 PM by Jared Conway

How to Perform Metal forming analysis?

Kandasamy Raja

Hi,

I want to perform a metal forming analysis in solidworks simulation. I have attached a image shows how my model will be. A rod is inserted between two rollers to compress the rod. I want to perform this in motion studies and also have to check how much stress and deformation created in both rollers and the rod. I need guidance in how to do this. Please help.

• Re: How to Perform Metal forming analysis?
          Nicholas Luyster

Hi Kandasamy,

This looks like a deceptively complicated problem.  If you were to do this, you'd need to do it using the non linear solver found in SolidWorks Simulation Premium.  As far as doing this with motion, you may be able to get an animation just to show the process but you would not get accurate results.  Motion uses a "rigid body solver". Because the metal is deforming, this simulation will not work. 

As far as a tutorial, I put one together a little while ago on non linear dynamic studies.  You'll want to do something similar.  In your case, you'll want a non linear static study instead.  You'll also want a material model which will allow for permanent deformation.

Here's the link to the tutorial. It should, at least, give you an idea of how the user interface looks and it should give you the basics you'll need.

All the best,

Nick

SolidWorks Simulation Training

• Re: How to Perform Metal forming analysis?
            Jared Conway

this is going to be a very challenging simulation

nonlinear for sure

nonlinear dynamic potentially

could you get away with "crushing" the rod by bringing the 2 wheels together? that would be a good first step, especially if you are new to sim

you should take a look at the tutorials, there are a couple that are like that

but there are none like what you are looking for as it is at the edge of what we can likely do with the solver