5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 9:32 AM by Derek Parks

How to sustain a detail view in a template

Chris Canterbury

A lot of our drawings require a detail view that is identical.  (Well, 2 or 3 different ones.)  Is there a way to put these detail views in the drawing template, then drag whichever is appropriate onto the sheet?  The views do not need to be active, nor dynamic.  Hell, a picture would work and I would simply label it as a detail view.

Predefined views don't cut it as the exact position changes as the parts change size. 

The scale will always be 1 : 2, if that helps.

SWX 2012 x64 SP4.0

• Re: How to sustain a detail view in a template
          Derek Parks

Chris,

You could make a block which would be saved in your design library. You can then just drag and drop it into any drawing you would like. This is what I do for thread details etc. that are used on multiple drawings.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/Blocks.htm?id=1e3868a9ef56429790df6e847512d495

Derek

Derek Parks

Chris,

Sorry for the late reply I got pretty busy. Can you explain your workflow for creating the blocks. The way I create mine for using in drawing would be to actually do the sketch in a drawing with dimesions and then save as a block. So for simple example I draw a circle and dimension it at 2.50 dia.. I would then selection box the circle and dimension, right click and select create block. You can then select the block for instance by clicking the circle, then you would right click and select save block. You can then save this sldblk file type for use in your design library. This makes for simpel drag and drop into any drawing.

Derek

Chris Canterbury

I've tried a few different ways.  I've projected the view, dimmed whatever, box-selected everything, then Make Block.  I've projected the detail, traced the lines, dimmed whatever, box-selected and/or individually selected the lines/arcs (hand-drew the detail arc), then Make Block.  I've projected the detail, hit Make Block, then tried to box and/or individually pick each line/arc/dim.  Sometimes I get a usable block, sometimes not.

The saddest part is when I get a usable block that does not stay usable somehow (the dims go away).  Or the next time I need it, it will not fit on the sheet.

Derek Parks

Sounds like you running into several issues. I am not sure why it is being so erratic for you. I am running version 2012 and can just box select >right click>create block>box select again>save block and I am done. I have run into it not working the first time when using a actual part that was dimensioned but it always eventually works. Sketched blocks i have never ran into a problem.

As far as fitting on a sheet once your block is saved and you drag it onto a drawing you can adjust your scale in the parameters properties just make sure scale dimensions is checked to get a clean look.

You may want to check with your VAR to see if there have been any reports on this plus support to actually see your screen to make sure there is nothing you are overlooking.

Derek