3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 4:17 PM by Pete Yodis

Is Dispatch always this slow?

Pete Yodis

I am using a dispatch to capture the current folder name and write that value to a variable on a data card for later use.  The dispatch takes about 2 seconds per file to complete.  That's not terrible, but when you have 10,000 files to process - its not great.  Also, the vault really slows down when this dispatch is being run on a larger batch of files.  I guess this is normal for Dispatch?

• Re: Is Dispatch always this slow?
          Pete Yodis

I should add that I can go to another user's machine and run this same Dispatch on a different set of files and the speed is not affected (its still 2 seconds per file).  The vault is still fast for them.  Its only slow on machines that fired off the Dispatch on a large number of files.  I guess the dispatch runs locally? 

Michael Dekoning

I'm not sure how to judge the speed of Dispatch, but I think it will be writing the folder name into a property for each file. How are you triggering the Disptach script to run? What types of files are they?

Pete Yodis

The files are SolidWorks and drawings and DWG files.  I actually have two dispatches to cover it.  One is when a file is added to the vault for the first time.  This one is automatic and does not give a confirmation when it is done.  The second dispatch is executed manually from the right click menu.  This one does have a confirmation message box after its complete.  This dispatch is being used to condition the data that gets migrated from WorkGroup PDM and will also be used anytime a file is moved to another folder (there is no automatic way to handle updating this information through dispacth.  The speed per file that I gave was in reference to the second dispatch described here.  I was hoping that I could fire off a dispatch on one folder of documents, surf to another and fire off that dispatch, and keep going and let all these events run - but it does not seem possible on one machine.  I'm mostly just curious as to the nuts and bolts here.  It seems as if the dispatch funciton runs localy somehow, because I went to another computer as I mentioned and had no trouble executing another dispatch at the same time as the one running on my machine.