19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 4:56 AM by Charles Fried

Texturing a 3D model

Charles Fried

Hi there,

I've modeled this little panda for 3d printing but I'd like to add a furry texture to it.

I tried Zbrush thinking I'd  be able to just paint it on but it all seems very complicated.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Charles

Edit: The poly count was different on each part of the model, affecting how the texture was painted.

Panda.JPG

• Re: Texturing a 3D model
          Yuvaraj Sakthivel

Hi,

Use decal tool,

Goto Display manager > decal > right click on it  > Add decal > select image (download texture as image) > select faces . you wil get realistic texture for your model.

Kindly refer below screen shot.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Regards,

Yuvaraj

Kevin Pymm

Charles,

You could try using Blender, there are several fur & hair tutorials online. Don't know how well they'd 3D print though...if at all.

Derek Parks

Charles,

You are going to have to model this texture in whatever program you choose if you want it to translate into a stl for print. Just adding a material or appearance isn't going to translate. You could try and use Blender to model but if you have no previous Blender experience you would be better off just doing it in Solidworks for learning curve reasons. You could give it a rougher texture look with boss extrudes and cuts using patterns.  This along with adjusting your printer smoothness may give you a "fur" look. Shouldn't be to hard to rough it up but getting any strand detail will depend on scale etc.

Bottom line is unless you have a printer that costs more than a Lamborghini and are printing a larger scale bear getting that much detail out of a 3D printer will be hard if not impossible.

P.S. If you do have said printer then I am jealous and want to see images when you get it printed

Cheers.

Derek

Charles Fried

What makes you think I can't include another program into my workflow to add some texture?

Please tell me a little more about your pattern idea, how would you apply this to a compound curve like the belly of the panda.

I strongly dissagree, this was printed on an FDM machine roughly 1000 euros which is what I've got.

20130407_215240_HDR_preview_featured.jpg

Just in case you're interested heres the machine in question:

IMG_3896.jpg

Derek Parks

Charles,

The image you have attached is the rough type texture I was reffering too. This will be about as much detail you can expect from a printer of that type. There are printers you can get that will print strands but most don't have them.  I also never said you couldn't use another program to add texture was just saying the learning curve of Blender time may be saved by using a program you are already familiar with. As lonmg as it is a real 3D texture you can use whatever method you preffer.

With just a rough texture covering the whole bear I would look in your printer software to see if this can be added. This may be the best way to acomplish this. I don't know what printer you have but you should be able toadjust your smoothness giving you this effect.

Derek.

Charles Fried

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Perhaps I should also be more precise on the type of texture I'm after, see the picture below.

This I beleive is possible, scale depending of course.

Capture.JPG

Derek Parks

OK, now I am understanding what you are looking for. Yes I believe you can get a similar look obviously the larger the print the more detail you can get. I am going to assume your original model is just surfaces done in Solidworks and this screen grab is done in another Software. If this is correct and you say you have access to ZBrush I would say go that route.

While I haven't messed with zbrush in years and no longer have the software completing such smooth sweeps while I am sure is possible in Solidworks would be a lot of work. Since your not needing technical sweeps and curves  then a more "art" relevant software would be quicker.

I would post on a zbrush forum or sure you could find a zbrush tutorial online to do some quick surface work. Could also tag this post in the Surfacing part of this forum here to see if some guys with more surface experience then myself could give you a quicker fix then I know of. Sorry I couldn't help more and I look forward to seeing what you come up with and a finished product.

Derek

Charles Fried

Thanks for your help anyway.

Yeah you're right the picture was a screen shot taken from a youtube video showing the process with Zbrush.

Unfortunatly no information on how is was done.

I have also posted on the Zbrush forum but it seems very quiet there.

The model was made using the power surfacing plug-in for Solidworks which translates directly into a solid body.

Best,

Charles

Joe Kuzich

That is a cute Panda. 

Charles Fried

If anyone if willing to write me a tutorial explaining how to texture my solidworks model I will print and send you an object of your choice.

Chris Dordoni

Charles,

If 3d printing is the goal and you are never going use the model with texture for CNC milling, it would be ideal to create this in polygons. If you must have the textured model in nurbs in the future, the polygon model can be converted to nurbs by some specialized software, such as Geomagic Studio.

As you have seen, when the nurbs patches from SolidWorks get triangulated by saving as a mesh (ie STL, WRL etc) there can be large discrepancies in the size of the triangles from on part of the model to another, which makes texturing difficult. You would have much better control over the size and consistency of the triangles/polygons by creating the model in a polygonal modeler.

You indicated you have the PowerSurfacing plugin, so I can see your pretty serious about using SolidWorks to do freeform type modeling. If you plan on making these kinds of forms in the future, you might look at remeshing or retopologizing in poly modelers, like ZBrush, 3DCoat or Blender. This can transform a less than ideal polygonal model into something that might work better for your purpose. That way you could still use SolidWorks to create the base form as nurbs, and then add 3d texturing as a polygonal model.

Charles Fried

Great, thanks for sharing this information.

By Remeshing/Retopologizing do you equalizing the poly count throughout the 3D model?

Is that texturing workflow from SW to Zbrush something your've done before?

Chris Dordoni

Remeshing/Retopologizing can equalize the poly count over the whole surface of the model. I've never done it myself, but I have seen that it can be done.

I have textured 3d models that were created as poly models and used displacement painting (3d painting), but never starting from a nurbs model.

It seems more efficient to keep the modeling entirely in polys if you know you need a textured model. Then, if you still need a nurbs model at some point, you can have the poly model converted to a nurbs model. You would probably have to pay for that as a service, because the software is fairly expensive (more than $10,000 for Geomagic Studio).

Jared Conway

probably out of your price range but take a look at materalize for texturing prior to 3d printing. something that our 3d printing team took a look at. if they have a chance they are going to drop in and weigh in on thetopic.

Daniel Lyon

Following on from what Jared mentioned, I had a trial copy to investigate if we could apply textures to the STL files since modeling textures in SolidWorks may be a little tricky without some of the polygon modelling plugins such as Power Surfacing. The software was built by Materialise & is called 3 matic.

http://software.materialise.com/textures-patterns-perforations

I was using the texturing module of 3 matic. I had a surface model in solidworks of a car door handle that I wanted to apply a faux-leather texture to. I exported an STL file & opened it in 3 matic. To get the texture I found a black & white 2D image of a texture. The software uses the gray scale to control the height or depth of the regions and wraps the texture around the geometry. It came out looking pretty good for such a small amount of practice on the software. Some images:

In 3 Matic adding the texture

Textured.png

Laid out on the 3D Systems Projet 3500 Print bed with some other textured parts. The $100 bill was created using the Processing software & the instructions available here http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printed-Photograph/. It will take a gray scale image and create the STL model for you based on heights you define for the black & white regions. Great for making cool 3D Photographs. 

3matic_texturing_Tests.png

The Print straight out of the machine:

photo 1 - Copy.JPG

And after the wax has melted in the oven:

photo 3 - Copy.JPG

As far as prices go this is what I received from Materialise:

"3-matic Design is licensed with two separate licensing options.

The first is to purchase it as a perpetual license where you would own your copy of 3-matic. A static seat is $23,460 with an optional yearly maintenance fee of $3,910 each year afterwards. A floating seat is $35,190 with an optional yearly maintenance fee of $5,865 each year afterwards.

The second way is to purchase an annual license (one year lease). A static seat is $8,211 and a floating seat is $12,317.

Our textures module is sold separately and is only sold as an annual license. The cost for this module is $3,375 per year."

What with the open source Processing software being free & having a similar option available but limited to 2D plates at the minute it probably won't be long until someone produces some code to take an existing STL file. If you do I'd be glad to hear from you, as i'm sure a lot of people would!

Charles Fried

Spot on, thanks!

It seems like materialise has spotted the need for a texturing sofware but starting a 8k is deffenitely not for the hobbyist.

Athough The results are indeed very impressive!

I'd love SW to get more involded in 3D printing and bring some features such as this.

Kevin Pymm

Charles,

See if this is of any interest to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCghBIUZyuM