3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 6:29 AM by Clemence Wiart

Plot stress along defined line (2)

Clemence Wiart

Hello,

I have already posted a similar question a couple of weeks back, and it was successfully answered. I thought the method that worked for my other problem would work for another issue I'm having (later explained) but unfortunately not. So here I am again, hoping that some lovely folks will help me out once more!

I am applying torsion at a notched, cylindrical specimen (cf image 1). I would like to plot the resulting stress along a defined line, this time going through the specimen from the bottom of the notch to the other side, at the bottom of the notch as well (images 2 and 3).

image1.png

image2.png

image3.png

Or, if it is any simpler, from the center of the cylinder to the bottom of the notch.

Pay no attention to the terrible meshing, I just took these screenshots quickly just to give an idea of what I'd like to do.

If I'm not explaining this well, or if you have any questions please ask me, this is getting quite urgent and Solidworks is getting frustrating!

Thank you in advance for your time

• Re: Plot stress along defined line (2)
          Shaun Densberger

This is slightly more involved that what we did previously, mostly because it will also require that you redefine your simulation features (materials, constraints, loads, etc.).

To do this, we're going to use the Split command to split the body up into multiple bodies.

1. Start with your base geometry and define three orthogonal planes that pass through the axis of revolution for your geometry.

Split Body 1.png
          2. Go to Insert -> Features -> Split...

Split Body 2.png
          3. Select the three planes for the Trim Tool box, press the Cut Part, check all 8 boxes that appear in the Resulting Bodies box, then select OK.

Split Body 3.png
          4. Go into Simulation. You'll now notice that most (if not all) of your simulation definitions are broken or incorrectly defined.

Split Body 4.png
          5. Diligently fix all of your simulation definitions. Make sure for the loads that you check "Total" and not "Per Item". Also make sure that you define a global Bonded contact definition with Compatible Mesh.

Split Body 5a.png
            Split Body 5b.png
            Split Body 5c.png
          6. Mesh you model to archive whatever your analysis goals are, and then run. As before, right-click on the result quantity that you want to plot and select Probe and then On Selected Entities. Use the Select Other command (right-click when the mouse pointer is over the model geometry) and select the line in the center of your geometry.

Split Body 6.png
          7. As before, use the Update button and then Plot to create your graph.

Split Body 7.png