5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 2:26 PM by Arnold Hazlewood

centerline command

John Bryjak

the behaviour of the centerline command in a drawing is questionable at best.

I select a cylinderical face and hit the centerline icon and nothing.

this has happened before.

or sometimes it would decide to put centerlines in every hole.

this is a sad state.

• Re: centerline command
          Jamil Snead

I usually create a centerline by hitting the icon first, then selecting the 2 symmetrical edges of the feature. This creates a centerline in the middle of the selections.

Glenn Schroeder

John Bryjak wrote:

the behaviour of the centerline command in a drawing is questionable at best.

I select a cylinderical face and hit the centerline icon and nothing.

this has happened before.

As the other post said, select the parallel edges where you want the centerline.

or sometimes it would decide to put centerlines in every hole.

This will happen if you have a drawing view selected when you activate the centerline function.

Arnold Hazlewood

I am also having this problem. I have an assembly with over 400 parts and when I want to add in a single centerline to a view, I have a 50% chance that clicking anywhere in the view will add centerlines to all of the parts and not just the one I clicked for. To make this more annoying, the ctrl Z does not undo the centerlines so I am forced to manually delete all the extra lines I did not need.

Arnold Hazlewood

having the same issue with 2015 however ctrl z now works to remove them so I can start over.  My best guess is if I have the view selected before clicking on the centerline button when I click back on the view it will add all the centerlines possible.  so far to prevent this I make sure I do not have a view selected before I click the centerline command.

Andrew Kronquist

The only trouble I've have with center lines is when my hole or part isn't normal to the view. That usually happens with enclosures with drafts on the sides, so I cut the hole from a plane instead of the face of the enclosure. I've never had all the holes center lined at once. I should learn how to do that.