6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 5:25 PM by Mike Waumsley

graphics driver not in database

Mike Waumsley

Good afternoon all,

We have been using Soildworks 2010 now for well 4 years, and we have been very happy with it but havent really seen a need to upgrade as we simlpy can not justify the cost.

So I was very supprised to find today that solidworks is now "causing a problem" at start up and RX states:

Your current graphics card/driver combination is not in the SolidWorks systems/graphics card database.

This is pretty strange as the laptop we run it on remains unchanged and the graphics driver is also unchanged.

A check for the correct driver on SW website reveales that on windows 7 64bit is being supported. We are ans always have run Windows 7 32bit.

Is there a work around for this error?

We are now at a stop because of this fault.

Thanks for any help.

• Re: graphics driver not in database
          Jeff Mirisola

It would help to know what your computer specs are, beyond the OS. Also, the average life span of an engineering laptop is probably 2-3 years, depending on level of (ab)use. It could be that your graphics card is going bad as well.

Mike Waumsley

Hi Jeff,

the laptop is a panasonic toughbook Cf-52 i5 M520@2.4GHz, 4MB, 500MB SSD. Display addaptor Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD.

We only run Toughbooks others are dead in a few months. The machine itself is in perfect health and we have no issues with any other software, eplan, curvy 3D..... everything is good.

Jeff Mirisola

I think what has happened is 4 years of luck has run out. The graphics card isn't, and never was, supported so the fact that you haven't had any issues is remarkable. 

I agree with Anna that a Windows update may have hosed your install. Whether or not you can come back from it, I don't know. Rolling back the driver may work...

Mike Waumsley

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am in for another 4 years of luck!

I didnt rollback the driver, I decided that as it hasnt changed I might dig a bigger hole.

Instead I followed Anna's train of thought and started pull out the latest windows (AUTO) updates and after a lot of waiting, SW is happy again. As I removed the updates in batches so I am not sure which is causing the problem. I will track it down and post here for any other unlucky users.

Thanks for your input.

Anna Wood

Has Windows Update installed a new graphics card driver recently?

Cheers,

Anna

Mike Waumsley

I think you might be on to something there Anna but I am not sure if its a Windows update that has caused the problem or could it be the auto update for SW.

As SW looks to have dropped 2010 and Windows 7 32 from its supported drivers.

The current dirver is dated: 18/12/2009 version 8.15.10.2025 so it does not look like any update has been implimented.

I do however have the rollback option available which is strange. I might give this a go just to see what happens!