AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help troubleshooting 2D thermal simulations

Question asked by Paul Mark on Jul 21, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 by Jared Conway

Hello again all! More problems yet. I have a 3D thermal simulation, which involves a rod split into 11 concentric rings and a heatsink surrounding it, cooling it down to the case below it. I am loading the inner 10 rings at 10W each for a total of 100W, and the base of the heatsink is held at 20C I believe. The 3D simulation runs fine and gives me the "correct" answers. I want to convert it into a 2D simulation so that I can quickly test a number of configuration changes without having to simulate the entire environment. However, when I do that, everything is broken. The thermal flux is too small by a factor of 2, and when I calculate the heat flux through the bottom of the heatsink I get values like 3W, so that the temperatures, etc. are completely wrong. I am baffled as the 3D version of the same thing works just fine. May I ask for someone's time and effort to help me troubleshoot this issue? I have attached the assembly with simulation files for 2D attached. The issue seems to be the "Indium_4MM" piece or "Crystal_11", at which point the heat seems to disappear, although the heatflux at the "crystal" is still too small by a factor of 2: it should be on average 265000 while the simulation gives me an average of 133000. Thanks so much!

Attachments

Outcomes