7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 10:46 AM by Christopher Estelow

Sprag clutch

Alan Thomason

I need to model a one-way clutch in an assembly (often referred to as a sprag clutch).  I have 2014 Motion so that is an option.  Thanks in advance for your help.

• Re: Sprag clutch
          Christopher Estelow

Did you try doing an internet search for "sprag cluthc 3d model".  Unless you give a specific part it will be hard to know which one you are talking about.

Chris

Mark Kaiser

Would applying a motor (motion study/animation) to the clutch work?

Alan Thomason

I don't think so.  The motion of the sprag clutch should be either dependent on the motion of other items in the assembly or locked up.  A typical application of a sprag clutch is the one-way bearing on large alternators.  When the belt is trying to motivate the alternator to turn in the normal direction, the sprag clutch locks up and the pulley behaves as if there was not a sprag clutch in place.  When the engine suddenly slows, like during a shift, the alternator, which has a high inertia relative to other driven accessories, is allowed to slowly reduce in rotational speed.  This reduces the load on the belt, preventing squeaks and reducing belt damage.

So, I need a function which either locks up or doesn't.  If there was a way to assign a friction which was dependent upon the sign of the velocity that would do.

Christopher Estelow

Times like this is when you wish there was a clockwise/counter-clockwise roatational mate option

Chris