8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 10:29 AM by John Sweeney

Command Manager

Joe Settelmayer

How do you lock the command manager.  The dock/ undock feature isn't a convenience, it's actually a hassle.

• Re: Command Manager
          Frank Krockenberger

Joe,

If you double click on the grey area of the command manager it will dock,

or if you click on the grey area and drag it onto one of the four locating arrows.

Frank

Kelvin Lamport

Joe Settelmayer wrote:

How do you lock the command manager.  The dock/ undock feature isn't a convenience, it's actually a hassle.

I find the Command Manager to be an inconvenient hassle. It is disabled on my machines. I find the S key & keyboard shortcuts to be far more efficient.

Frank Krockenberger

I agree with Kelvin, I have mine turned off.

Joe Settelmayer

That's really not a fix.  The undocking of the command mgr is the problem.  Having the tool sets there is great. I should submit an ER and see if it's picked up

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Joe,

Out of curiosity, when does the CommandManager inadvertanely get undocked? We get very few requests for this so I'd like to learn more about when it happens so at the same time as possibly adding the ability to lock them, or perhaps instead of, we can fix any other types of glitches/behavior where the CommandManager or toolbars gets undocked inadvertantely under normal operating conditions. Here are a couple of interactions I can think of that may cause the behavior:

1) Double clicking on a CommandManager tab when trying to switch tabs instead of single clicking (it is by design the single click activates and double click undocks).

2) Trying to single click on a CommandManager tab when trying to switch tabs and moving the mouse a certain distance before letting go of the mouse (in which case it thinks you are trying to move the CommandManager - but the distance is quite large you have to move before this happens).

3) Trying to double click on a button, but missing the button and hitting empty space beside the button. In most cases, you only need single click to active a button and shouldn't use double click. Double click is really only used if using Single Command Per Pick mode as documented in the options here: http://help.solidworks.com/2014/English/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_options_system_general.htm.

Is one or more of these perhaps the cause? Note that you could be doing one of these without even knowing it when moving/clicking fast and I've even heard of cases where it happens due to a poorly or misfunctioning mouse where a single click sometimes gets acts as a double click in the mouse hardware/driver.

Thanks,
                        Jim

Frank Krockenberger

Joe,

Did not say it was a fix, but if it is not there it will not un-dock.

are you using two monitors?

This is from a different post from John S.

could this be your issue?

The CommandManager will undock if you double-click it or drag it.  You might be accidentally dragging as you click on the tabs.

-John

Mark Kaiser

Double click it.  Will set it back in place.

John Sweeney

Hi Joe,

The drag threshold is actually a system setting which, I believe, used to be visible to you on XP machines.  However, I can't find it exposed in the  Windows 7 control panel.  The drag threshold is a system-wide value that affects all applications and is used to determine when your left mouse button is down and you have begun dragging an item, such as a button.

If you're comfortable working with the registry you can open "regedit" and change the following values which will make it more difficult to accidentally drag-to-undock the CommandMgr tab.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\DragHeight

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\DragWidth

Where DragHeight and DragWidth define a rectangle used to detect the start of a drag operation.  The SolidWorks code actually magnifies this value by 5.   So, if your current setting is 4 for each value above, then you need to drag the CommandMgr tab 20 pixels before it will undock.  Once you change these values, you will need to log off and log back onto your machine.

To Jim's point above, if the commandMgr is undocking itself through some other action, then it would be helpful for us to reproduce the scenario.  However, if the drag threshold is simply too small for you, then changing the values above should help but it will affect other applications too.

With all this said, your suggestion to truly enable locking of the toolbars is a worthwhile enhancement and we will add it to the list for consideration.

Thanks for your time,

John