AnsweredAssumed Answered

K FACTOR/SHEET METAL FRUSTRATION!

Question asked by Steve Muhlhauser on Jul 15, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 by Bernie Daraz

I haven't had much of an issue until today. Usually I use my k-factor calculator to figure out my bend allowence but I'm using a heavier gauge and am at a lost.

For a shop drawing and part file that I'd send to waterjet lets say I had a 48" x 96 base and wanted to add a one inch flange on the sides, I've always done this with my kfactor calculator and it always gives me a flatt pattern of 48 x 98, based on our shop standards and the dye we use which is a KNIFE DYE so I'm told to never add any material to flatt patterns and since the knife's dye radius leaves a fraction of radius it's within our tolerances, simple enough and this has always worked..

Today I went to use 10GA stainless and it keeps adding a 1/16" or even an 1/8 to my flat pattern flanges and is becoming annoying.

See picture attacthed.

On the front view the middle dimension (the base) should match my flat-pattern's middle dimensions but they're beyond off.

Its not an extremely big deal because I can just make a simple 2D dxf of what I want it to be but that's the easy way out so if someone can explain what I'm doing wrong or guide me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Attachments

Outcomes