3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 1:40 PM by Todd Toso

Multiple dimensions from the same starting line

Todd Toso

Hey all,

I've been wondering this for a while and have thought about submitting a proposal to solidworks to see the feature in the future. 

To get to the point, is there a way in a solidworks drawing that I can set a line as a "base line" or "starting line" and draw multiple dimensions off of it?  For example, if you take a look at the picture below, you can see I made 9 dimensions all starting from the same bottom line (the base/starting line as I refer to it) and worked my way up...to do this, I had to click the bottom line each time and close it out with the next dimension I wanted...MY QUESTION is, would it be possible to set something up where I hold down a key, CNTRL let's say, click the bottom line and that tells solidworks I'm using that as my base line, then just click the dimension points I want and they would all derive from that same base line?  It may not seem very practical as it isn't hard to just click the base line each time, however I have a ton of drawings I work with where this would save me a lot of time.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you very much in advance for any information/help you can provide!

Base-Line-Dimensions.png