5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 7:05 PM by Nayshil Singh

Shell to shell bonding help

Nayshil Singh

I am a bit of a newbie with Simulation and have this project I am working on but am having some difficulties with bonding.  In the model attached, you will see I have two shells, both with thickness defined, fixtures defined, and forces defined.  For some reason, my shell to shell bonding is not working as it seems from the results I get.  The displacement of one of the components is too high and there doesn't seem to by any interaction with that component and the other.  I have tried numerous approaches without success.  I tried different faces, edge combinations, different thickness, forcing a gap in between the two shells.  The only thing that allowed me to use an automatic global bonding contact set was to force a small gap between the shells. The model I have attached has these auto generated contacts applied.  Can someone please point me in the right direction as to how I can get the two shell components bonded together?  The model attached is a 2014 model.

Thanks

Nayshil.

• Re: Shell to shell bonding help
          Jared Conway

the bonding in the file doesn't make sense to me

why wouldn't you bond the faces that overlap?

you're choosing faces that are essentially perpendicular to each other for the bonding as far as i can see

some screenshots would be really helpful to understand what you're trying to connect

and as someone learning how simulation works, i'd suggest doing some tests at smaller levels to get an understanding of how the software works

Nayshil Singh

Thanks for your reply Jared.  I have made the changes you talked about but unfortunately the result has not changed.  It still does not calculate the bonding placed on the component.  You can see in the image of the bonding changes made and the result obtained.  Why is that component in red not interacting with the other component?

Bonding.PNGresult.PNG

Thanks

Nayshil.

Nicholas Luyster

Hi Nayshil,

Try creating split lines where you have contacting faces. Click here to see how a split line is made.  Also, if you're converting solids to shells, keep in mind that the converted face is the face which you should be selecting for the contact. 

If this doesn't help, please feel free to upload an updated file set.

All the best,

Nick Luyster

Gosimulation.com

Online SolidWorks Simulation Training

Jared Conway

i'd also recommend setting up some test cases to get a good understanding of shell to shell bonding

what happens when there is a gap

when there is no gap

do they auto bond

what happens with contact set

is there an effect based on element size

these all have effects on the ability for the software to bond 2 faces

without seeing your updated model it is hard to comment on the cause of the issue

Nayshil Singh

Thanks very much Nicholas and Jared.  Much appreciated!  The combination of splitting the correct face in the overlapping region and applying the bonding to the correct shell face is what's caused this to work.  I think the reason behind my confusion is that Simulation warns you that you are not selecting the correct face/edge combination when creating fixtures but does not warn you when creating bonds.  This leads you into believing the contact sets selected are good when they are actually not.  I can now begin to do my test cases to see the effect of different bonding sets.

Thanks

Nayshil.