8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 8:43 AM by Brian McEwen

Modified Part in an Assembly

Simon González

Hi all,

I've been having this issue for a long time and never have found a solution. My problem appears when I want to modify the design of a specific zone of a part (this part will upgrade its revision), but this modification is compatible with its previous revisions, so no assembly will be upgraded. If the modified zone of the part wasn't used for mating with other components in the assembly, no change would be neccesary in the assembly file, but, as the change I'm talking about is in that area, mates would crash.

Is there any way to modify a part keeping the assembly mates working without modifying the assembly?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

• Re: Modified Part in an Assembly
            Ian Worrall

If you modify a part you change the SW file's internal ID, so your assembly will no longer recongnize the updated part.

You will always have to point SW to the updated part & click through the "Different ID" error box, then rebuild the assembly to accept (& link to) the updated part.

Simon González

The problem is that the assembly shouldn't upgrade its revision, because there hasn't been any change in it, but I'm oblied to do it in solidwotks, just because I'm working with EPDM.

What do you guys do in these situations?

Ian Worrall

We don't use PDM, as yet.

Simon González

And anyone else, when using EPDM and have to modify a part but there is no need to modify the assembly, regarding to fabrication, but you need to modify it in relation to solidworks, what do you do?

Simon González

I've changed the discussion group to see if you can give me a hand in relation to this issue.

Jim Sculley

You build the required functionality into your EPDM workflow.  In my workflow, a file in the 'Approved' state can be changed by one of two transitions.  The first transition from 'Approved' is a normal revision change where the file is transitioned to a 'Changes Pending' state and when the changes are complete the file moved back to 'Approved' and the revision is incremented.  The second transition from 'Approved' is called 'Non-Revision Change' where the file is transitioned to a 'Non-Revision Changes Pending' state.  It allows you to make changes and when they are complete the file is returned to the 'Approved' state with the Revision the same as it was before the changes were made.

So, when changes are made to a part that do not require the assembly revision to increment, you change the part and then perform a Non-Revision change on the assembly to allow it to rebuild.  When you finish the non-revision change, the assembly returns to 'Approved' with its Revision as it was before the change.

To make this work, you set the transition properties so that the revision is incremeted by 0:

transition.png

We use these non-revision changes all the time to rebuild assemblies and to correct minor problems on drawings such as typos or missing dimensions.

Of course, this can be abused if users start using non-revision changes when they should be using revision changes, but that is a training issue.

Jim S.

Brian McEwen

I think most have a Sub Revision (aka Admin Change) type workflow option.  It is called different things, but the essential part is that you can change from Released to a state where you can edit, and then change back to Released with the revision letter or number staying the same - an increment by 0.

Re: Revisions Control; should revs be kept the same at all levels?  And there are other discussions on the forums about it.

You can disallow this for drawings for some users (but allow them to do parts and assemblies), or whatever level of permission is right for you guys.  We keep it pretty open in our small group of SolidWorks users. 

If you are not an EPDM Admin you will have to talk to one at your company.  It does seem pretty essential to have something like this in your workflow.  One alternative is to give users complete control of what revision letter to use on release (like a Legacy workflow, it just uses whatever Revision they type on the data card).