AnsweredAssumed Answered

Mates Behaviour

Question asked by David Goodwin on Jul 10, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 by Glenn Schroeder

I and some of my colleagues have recently moved to Solidworks from Inventor and have had to learn on the job. Most of the basics were easy enough to pick up once you found where to look for the commands but we are having a problem with placing small components into a large model. I have a 40ft container which is kitted out as a mobile office. When I place a 20mm square label into the assembly model and add a Mate to constrain it, it disappears. In inventor when you apply a constraint the floating component is moved to the point where you clicked so that the 2 parts are in close proximity to each other making the placement of further constraints easy. Solid works makes the Mate you asked for but does not move the floating part anywhere near the part you want. It may be 20 or 30ft away and you have to go looking for it to apply further constraints. As you zoom out to find the label there comes a point where the graphics cannot display the label because it is so small. Using Isolate helps find it but it is a real pain zooming in and out all the time to place these Mates and when you have a lot of different labels to place it slows things down tremendously. Is there a way to make Solidworks Mates behave in the same way that Inventor does?

Outcomes