10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 7:48 PM by Bernie Daraz

Part won't stay flat

Gerald Watts

Why do some sheet metal parts stay flat in a drawing and others don't?

If I leave the part flat when I save it it will appear flat in the drawing where it's supposed to but if I leave it folded it will appear folded in the drawing where it's supposed to be flat.

Doesn't effect the first page where the part appears folded.

jerrry

• Re: Part won't stay flat
          Jamil Snead

In the drawing view properties make sure you don't have the bubble selected for "Use model's "in-use" or last saved configuration". Instead select "Use named configuration" and pick the configuration you want to show in the view.

drawingview.PNG

Gerald Watts

I don't htink that's it or maybe but there's more.

The model was created as sheet metal from the start,  USUALLY that means, when I make the drawing, under Orientation, More Views, there's a tick box for flat pattern, THAT'S what's missing and I haven't been able to figure out why.

I tried changing the setting that you indicated and that made all the other views change as well.  So there has to be something else, something that usually just happens automatically that got changed w/o my knowledge.

Any other ideas?

Jerry

Bernie Daraz

Early on I was leaving parts in the unfolded state when I went back and forth between the drawing and modeling. If you leave your default view unfolded it will appear unfolded in the drawing. SW automatically creates a flattened view (configuration) so that isn't necessary. If you use the rollbackk bar to do this the same thing can happen.

Gerald Watts

True if I leave it flat in the model then it defaults flat in the drawing.  I was able to get my drawing to display properly, finally, using the Reference Configuration setting. 

Now the problem has manifested with another part, right after I changed the perf pattern, but with the properties set to flattened or default state it still doesn't flatten and doesn't give me the usual option for flattening.  I.e. Normally there's a selection for "flat pattern" under "Orientation" but in these drawings that is missing.

Perhaps the complexity of added holes interferes w flattening or configurations got turned on somehow?

I don't have much hair left to pull.

Jerry

Jamil Snead

Sometimes for some reason in the flat pattern configuration of the part the flat pattern feature stays suppressed, and then you can't get a flat pattern view on the drawing. Open the part and switch to the flat pattern configuration and unsuppress the flat pattern feature if it is suppressed. Then go back to the default config and make sure the feature is still suppressed there.

Gerald Watts

OK so I went into the "Configurations Properties" Tab and opened the default configuration properties and un-checked "suppress features."  Then in the flat pattern configuration, I flattened the part and saved it, then I was able to get it to display properly on the drawing.

Of course that also means that if I change either configuration the drawing is screwed unless I save it detached.

Thanks for helping me work this out guys,

Good grief,

Jerry

Bernie Daraz

One other thing I just remembered and didn't ask. Are you using the button to go to the flat view and back or are you suppressing the flat pattern feature? My guess is you're suppressing the feature in the tree. Inserted is a picture of the button from 2013. This button is a toggle, hit it once to flatten and once to go back to formed view. This is all I use and I do a lot of sheet metal. OK, once in a while I have to use Unfold and Fold.

flatten.JPG

Gerald Watts

I'm familiar w/t Flatten toggle.

The flatten feature is automatically suppressed when the part is normal. (as in, not flat)  This supressed Flatten feature is automatically added whenever a sheetmetal Base Flange is created.  Normally if I create a drawing when the model is flat it will appear flat in the drawing.  With the flatten feature suppressed there's a check box under orientation where I can choose a flat pattern.

In this case that check box missing.  I just don't know why and can't seem to get it back.  Frankly I'm not too surprised as the model has been through hell on it's way to this final version.