10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 3:05 PM by Pam Johnson

Urgent! Broken Views Blow up

Pam Johnson

I have been struggling for 3 days and I need an answer or some kind of work around.

I work on long assemblies that need multiple breaks in them (approximately 20).  I have successfully produced several drawings using this method.  Suddenly, every time I break a view, the next time I open the view it "blows up".  The break lines, dimensions, and section marks fly off to one side or the other, completely off the view.  Yesterday I tried dimensioning the break lines to the model, and that does keep the break lines in place (but adds a considerable amount of time, although worth it if it solved my problem), but the dimensions, balloons, and section views still drift completely off the view.

Has anyone else experienced this, and hopefully found a solution?  The only two things I can think of that I have done differently than during the trial period that we used to see if SWX would work for our application is 1) I put 3 sheets in one drawing file (had used one sheet per drawing file previously), and 2) I used display states, in order to break the length of the 1000 plus foot model into 3 different sections.  I just experimented with the single sheet per file and still blows up.  Could display states be causing this??

I would appreciate any advice and possibilities to research!  I am a new user to Solidworks and we used the trial period to evaluate if SWX would work for us and we were able to work out all issues we came across for our application. Now I'm into my first real job using SWX and I have wasted 3 days on a set of 3 drawings that should have taken 4 or 5 hours, and am still searching for a way around this to move forward.  (I have contacted support and have had an SPR issued, just trying every option I can thing of.)

• Re: Urgent! Broken Views Blow up
          Kelvin Lamport

Can you ZIP and post a sample part & drawing to test on other machines?

What is the SPR number?

Pam Johnson

It is the complete assemly that is having issues, and it has nearly 4000 parts . . . not sure I can post something of that size?  I know it makes it more difficult to assess not seeing the problem.  It is 1078 feet long, which is why I'm using display states, one to show the first 1/3 of the assembly, one for the middle section, and one for the west end.

I did test on 2 other machines within our company.

Support has not yet given me the SPR number; I contacted them with the problem yesterday, and went back and forth yesterday morning, and contacted them again this morning and was told they are writing it up.

Glenn Schroeder

Instead of using Broken Views to show each 1/3 of the assembly, have you considered using Cropped Views instead?  In my opinion they're less likely to have the type of problems you're describing.  I've never had issues as bad as the ones you're describing, but I've also never had more than two breaks in any one view.

Pam Johnson

Cropped view wouldn't work (unless I'm not following how you would do it in this situation). 

My assembly is 1078 feet long, and there are 63 areas that need to show up in the plan view to show how this goes together. Between these areas are sections of 15 to 20 feet that aren't necessary to show, and help a great deal to cut out to condense the length and increase the scale to make the assembly viewable.

Glenn Schroeder

If cropped views won't work, how about showing the full drawing view, scaled to fit on your sheet, and then use Detail Views as needed?  I know this isn't addressing the underlying problem, but I'm trying to help you get around it.

Pam Johnson

I will give it a try . . . 63 views I will have to create, so not ideal, but I have to do something!  I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Pam Johnson

It took me a while to get to try the detail views as I was going back and forth answering questions from support and uploading the model for them to examine, but as soon as I started to work on this suggestion, I realized it likely wouldn't work, but I did try it, just in case.  The problem with using multiple detail views is that you can't dimension between two different views, and I need to put many dimensions on this. 

As I suspected, it doesn't allow you to do this, so although in every other regard it looked really nice this way, with no dimensions, it doesn't get me where I need to go. 

Thanks, Glenn!

Still haven't been issues a SPR number; does anyone know if they usually tell you when it's submitted, or do I need to ask for it?

Mark Kaiser

Have you tried using configurations instead of display states?  Really just a shot in the dark, as I don't know much about display states. 

Pam Johnson

This is the first time I have used display states or configurations.  Initially, I tried to make 4 configurations, (full assembly, left end, middle, and right end.)  I could not get it to work correctly, so I did some research in the forums, and found someone advising that display states are what needs to be used to control visibility of parts within an assembly.  So it took me two tries to figure it out, and found that it worked beautifully . . . until I closed the drawing I created with it.  Each time I fix the drawing, close out and then reopen, the annotations have left the view completely.