1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 4:24 AM by Sean Phillips

How to get dimensions that are not "Display Dimensions" From Model

Adam Hoffman

I'm trying to write a macro that processes dimensions in our assembly drawings but am having trouble. All the examples I have seen say to get the first display dimension in the view and then use GetDimension on the display dimension. Correct me if I am wrong, but display dimensions are used in the model right? What about dimensions that were added to the drawing manually after the drawing was created? I can't seem to gain access to these. I've tried going the GetAnnotation route with the overall drawing itself and then call GetType on the annotation returned but dimension does not seem to be in that category. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

• Re: How to get dimensions that are not "Display Dimensions" From Model
          Sean Phillips

I'm trying to write a macro that processes dimensions in our assembly drawings but am having trouble. All the examples I have seen say to get the first display dimension in the view and then use GetDimension on the display dimension. Correct me if I am wrong, but display dimensions are used in the model right?

Get Annotation first, then displaydimension, then dimension, then dimenisontolerance.

Annotation is everything in a drawing part assembly. from annotation you can check the type, and hand over to the appropriate object. for example displaydimension. from displaydimension you can get dimenion. this dimension has properties such as readonly and driven, override ect. from dimensions we can get dimenisontolerance.

Private _Annotation As Annotation

Private _Note As Notes

Private _DisplayDimension As DisplayDim

Private _Dimension As Dimension

Private _DimensionTolerance As DimensionTolerance

Private _Block As Blocks

Private _CenterLine As CenterLines

Private _CenterMarkSym As CenterMarkSyms

Private _CThread As CThreads

Private _CustomSymbol As CustomSymbols

Private _DatumOrigin As DatumOrigins

Private _DatumTag As DatumTags

Private _DatumTargetSym As DatumTargetSyms

Private _DowelSym As DowelSyms

Private _Leader As Leaders

Private _Gtol As GTols

Private _RevisionCloud As RevisionClouds

Private _SFSymbol As SFSymbols

Private _TableAnnotation As TableAnnotations

Private _WeldBeadSymbol As WeldBeadSymbols

Private _WeldSymbol As WeldSymbols

What about dimensions that were added to the drawing manually after the drawing was created? I can't seem to gain access to these. I've tried going the GetAnnotation route with the overall drawing itself and then call GetType on the annotation returned but dimension does not seem to be in that category. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

ModelItems is the key to change dimensions on a drawing. if the dimesion was created on the drawing. your only option is the override the value. thats ugly. make sure to check a modelitem for readonly, and driven state.