5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 4:53 PM by Plamen Cherkezov

Replicating a Threaded Connection in Simulation

Graeme Hyson

Hi,

I am attempting to model a threaded pipe connection and I don't know how to simulate the thread.

The overall assembly is two rigid pipes joined together which a nut, very much like a typical hydraulic fitting.  Unfortunately I cannot post many details of the real part for intellecatual property reasons.  Essentially I've got one fitting with a male thread, a second fitting which mates with the first and a nut which engages with the first fitting and presses on the back of the second fitting forcing the two together.  The below image shows the kind of conneciton I'm talking about, however this isn't my model.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Schneidring_fest.jpg[/img]

I'm not actually interested in stresses in the thread teeth, I just want to simulate the axial load transmission through the threaded area realisitically.  I've simplified the teeth to plain cylinders which match the real thread pitch diameter.  However if I just connect the nut and the male threaded fitting with bonded contacts the connection stiffness is in the radial direction is much higher than in reality. 

Is there a good way to simulate axial load transmitted across a threaded connection?  I'm looking for a way which allows the nut to deform, particularly radially, as it would do in real life.

Thanks.