13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 4:21 PM by Jerry Steiger

Large assembly and mates problem. Is it me or computer?

Kyle Rupprecht

Hello Everyone,

I’d first like to say that I am a new member to the forums and figured it would be beneficial to give a back ground on what my company does with SolidWorks.

We design and build new and expansions onto our regional Feed and Grain plant facilities so we are working on the large scale. We work with multiple different vendors constantly filling in those early stage blanks which causes my components to change, sometimes a lot and others not so much. The largest factor in our computer performance is we use real component dimensions to get us the most accurate display and parts list for material handling equipment, piping, and elbows to maintain proper degree for flow.

The most recent facility design is giving me the most pain with the mates being fine and then doing small changes to parts or sub-assemblies. We are also fighting with the IT Department to get us better computers to work with SolidWorks and we are stumped trying to figure out if it is the assemblies and how they are built, or if its lack of computer performance so attached will also be computer break down.

To make the Assembly to this point I have needed to suppress a large portion of the assembly to allow it to mate properly and I would just get yellow over defined errors but now with more detailing with equipment in other areas its setting off the red errors. I’ve already experimented with deleting some red error mates to the point where it is back to Under Defined status and nothing is confined anymore.

If there is any help with this please help me figure this out because it is driving me insane.

Assembly information breakdown is as fallowed:

File Size of 4.26 MB

Total number of components – 572

Parts – 552

Sub-Assemblies – 20

Mates – 876

Large Assembly mode is set at 50 due to computer performance.

Computer information:

Lenovo Think Station S20

Intel Xeon E45607 @2.2 GHz

(4) 2 Gig Ram sticks

Operating windows 7 64 Bit

Using SolidWorks 2013 SP5

• Re: Large assembly and mates problem. Is it me or computer?
          Jerry Steiger

Kyle,

You could attach a zip file with your assembly and all of the parts so that others could better understand your issues. Use Pack and Go to generate the zip file.

Looking at the screen dump and what you have written, I suspect that you have most all of your parts in a top level assembly with very few subassemblies. That slows SolidWorks down and makes mating a nightmare. Try to do as much as possible in subassemblies that make sense to you.

Jerry S.

Kyle Rupprecht

I fear I wont beable to pack and go the file that is pictured in the screen dump, All components are filed on our server in our stock folder and vendor supplied folders. The last time I tryed to do a Pack and Go only thing that loaded up was the components that are unique to this project (Concret foundation, Structural, and Product bins which is not where im having the problem.

If there is any way to by pass off of this I will gladly try but i need help with that!

Thanks for the reply!

Chase Draper

I've found if my video card driver is out of date I have all kinds of problems not directly related to display.  So I would check that first.  SW website has a pretty all inclusive list of system requirements and a check list to see if you are running an approved video card.  Next I would recommend editing the feature of the mates instead of deleting them.  Some times if you are doing top down modeling changing things here or there will change the geometry you are working from in those instances you can edit sketch plates or change sketch relations to fix the problems.  I do alot of plant layouts and have found that problems in the instances normally come from "in place" mates. If you can add more sub assemblies to reduce the amount of parts and mates it would likely help performance.  You can insert a new assembly and drag parts into it to avoid having to redo alot of work.

Kyle Rupprecht

The video card driver is the most up to date for what this computer has which was a bare minimum for back when these computers were given to us when we incorporated SolidWorks into our compnany.

Video Card is  a NVIDIA Quardo 400  w/ Driver Version 9.18.13.3311 Which is what was recommended by IT who supposivly talked with a tech. from Graphics Systems.

As far as the sub assembly goes i need some more clarification on how to possibly do this. The screen shot i uploaded in my original post shows that major area which holds 90% of my components. There is really only one way i can find to seperate them and still be able to bring it back in. split my 90 % up into 2 main Sub Assemblies and combine them into a combined main sub assembly to bring into my project assembly will this most likely help? With the other projects going on im looking at 2-3 days to do this so i kind of need some feed back

Maria Stein Phase One Layout Rev 2 Option 2.JPG

Im sorry that the picture sucks do to size but its the best way to explain this with out doing trial by error just simply due to time. Blue is all self contained and I can make this sub assembly. and most of Red is self contained but im looking at every option to help save time and fix my urge to kill the computer. 

Option 1 Make assembly of blue components - save assembly, open new assembly bring in blue assembly as a sub and place all of red components in seperatly, save, bring this larger assembly into project assembly and finish with green components and save

Option 2 Make assembly of blue components, save, make assembly of self contained red components and save, bring both red and blue assemblies into a new assebly and connect everything, save, bring this assembly into project assembly and mate with Green components

Chase Draper

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

check this out.  You can always have a bigger faster computer but technique has alot to do with it.  Var training on assemblies is one way to go another is to visit one of the local user group meetings to network with people who can help you. 

I've got to restart my system, once I'm done I will post how to add the sub assemblies

Chase Draper

Hit the drop down under insert componenct then select new assembly.  A new assembly will be inserted as shown in the bottom of the freature tree.insert.JPGonce you have it there you can select a group of parts or smaller assemblies and drag them onto the new assembly feature and do what the boxes say.  You might lose some inplace mates as shown below if you arent taking the geometry they are linked to .

move.JPG

Jeff Mirisola

As Chase mentioned, if you go to the video card testing page, you'll see the driver you were told to use isn't the correct driver. Oddly, the ThinkStation S20 doesn't even show the Quadro 400 as an option...Nonetheless, I don't think it's causing your mating issues, but it can affect performance.

Chase and Glenn both cover how to easily create sub-assemblies from your current assembly. Bear in mind that doing so may result in the loss of some mates and/or blown up mates, but you'll end up with a cleaner assembly in the end.

Kyle Rupprecht

Im trying to create the sub assemblies likeChase explained but i have no extra boxes to fallow along with. I created a new assembly, and dragged the components into the file. I can open the sub assembly and the parts are there but the mates blew up. Now I don't even have yellow errors... there all red. Before saving I closed the project and re-opened. I am rebuilding the sub assemblies like my option 2 above because I still need to show the respected parties the project. Thankfully the project has moved on to the ground floor area instead of my problem area so i will keep it supressed.

Thank you everyone for replying to this!! It really has taught me a whole new lesson on what not to do along with how to do a fix with sub assemblies!

Jerry Steiger

Kyle,

You can break the blue and red subassemblies down into smaller subassemblies that may not make sense in the way that your facility is built, but just to minimize the number of mates at each level. For example, you could make each bin and the pipe leading to it a separate subassembly, or you could make all the red bins a subassembly and all the pipes leading from the cone to the bins another subassembly, whatever helps and makes some kind of sense.

The bad news is that moving stuff into subassemblies can break existing mates, so it can be a bit painful to get to the better end condition. Suppressing mates, rather than just deleting them, is a good way of working out what is wrong and how to fix it.

Jerry S.

Jeff Mirisola

Kyle,

Like Jerry and Chase said, you should utilitze sub-assemblies more. I don't think your computer performance is the root issue, more likely your manner of creating the assembly and its mates. One trick: expand the assembly's mate folder, scroll down to the lowest mate with an error and suppress it. There's a good chance the rest of the errors will dissappear. This works well after single changes.

Your assembly really isn't all that large; there are plenty of companies who have assemblies that have thousands of parts. It just comes down to learning the best ways to manage and create assemblies. If it's at all possible to post the file, assuming it doesn't go against your company's policies, that would be the best. You may want to see if your VAR can help, too. They can set up a GoTo Meeting which will allow them to see your screen and give you some pointers.

Kyle Rupprecht

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!

Please take a look at my reply to Chase and let me know if you can help out. This is by far a learning experience for me with assemblies, which is why i need a good feed back on which option would help me the most to learn to do further projects as well as fixing this current one!

I have talked with a few VAR and have had them pocking around in the computer and file and im getting mixed feed back from them. Some say computer, some say assembly which brought me to here and ask for anyones help. I have tried to the pack and go to upload files but all of the repetative components are saved on our server and when i try to do this is doesnt bring in those components. Only the ones saved in this project file that are unique to this project (Foundation, Structural, and Bins) which is only 10% of this project.