6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 4:27 AM by Jingwei Wang

x86 add-in can not work in x64

Jingwei Wang

Hello, everybody. I have a big problem now. My x86 add-in by vb.net can not work in x64, error says the assembly can not be registered..., then I tried almost all methods available online, the problem is still there.

Then I make a test in a another new laptop with win7 x64 and solidworks  x64, after I install the Api sdk, I use the swVBaddin template to run a project. It must be working, but no. The same error  "the assembly can not be registered..." comes out again.  This makes me really sad, x86 addin works so fine, x64 add-in is so awful. How can I solve this problem? Who can save my life? I need you help.

• Re: x86 add-in can not work in x64
          Artem Taturevych

Hello, you need to use 'Any CPU' while developing the .NET add-in and use either x64 version of Regasm or x32 version of regasm to register on target machines. The dll should be the same. Please check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qy7KKy8-fE

Thanks,

Artem

Jingwei Wang

Thanks at first ! I watched your video and now the question is should I also add a key to the registry editor at first and then use Regasm to register dll? Or  I can directly use Regasm to register my dll in target machine?

Artem Taturevych

Hi,

If you are using the standard SDK template you do not need to add the key. The video shows how to create an add-in from scratch. In your add-in you should be able to find the function with a ComRegisterFunction attribute where some registry manipulation are done. So when you register your dll with RegAsm this function is invoked and the registry keys are added. Make sure you see them after registration.

Thanks,

Artem

Jingwei Wang

Artem, thank you again! But new problem comes out. In my program, I just modify the call back function of Createcube of template with creating and  showing  my userform. In my computer win7 x86, it works fine, in target machine win7 x64 with Solidworks x64,I  try add in the  modules and form created from my computer win7 x86 to set up a same project, but it brings me a disaster. The problem is:

see the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

at www.FileTimetoUtc.ConvertFileTimeToDateTime(FILETIME input) in C:\Users\wjw\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\www\www\FileTimetoUtc.vb:line 4

at www.GetFtpDirectoryContent.GetCurrentDirectoryContent(String strPathName) in C:\Users\wjw\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\www\www\GetFtpDirectoryContent.vb:line 40

at www.FtpForm.cmdConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\wjw\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\www\www\Form1.vb:line 97

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Assembly Version: 1.0.5300.40425

Win32 Version: 1.0.5300.40425

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/wjw/Documents/Visual%20Studio%202010/Projects/www/www/bin/www.DLL

SolidWorksTools

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SolidWorks%20Corp/SolidWorks/SolidWorksTools.DLL

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.