4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2014 10:10 PM by Glenn Schroeder

The mouse-issue

David Boydston

Hi guys, I am running Solidworks 2011, my company will soon upgrade to 2013 (or so I am told. . .)

Anyways, I recently requested a new mouse because I was fed up with the 600 dpi 3-button thing I had (Im a gamer at home, used to 3200 dpi).

I got a gigabyte mouse with fwd/back buttons for the thumb and tilt-wheel. The problem is I cant configure this buttons to Solidworks, I want to use the back button as "normal-to" command in solidworks, I can do it if I go into mouse settings and use the bind key to ctrl + 8, but then I cant use the back-button feature on Chrome/FF because its not bound to that command anymore.

I have searched the forums and the internet for this issue, which seems to be a topic of discussion and everyone is talking about specific mouse (logitech, dell, etc). But I think most (other) software can recognize commands as mouse4, mouse5 and so on without having issues on the mouse model itself. I think its pretty normal nowadays to have more than 3 buttons on a mouse.

I didnt have any problems with the third-button (I found this issue many times on the internet) with this new mouse, so I am sure Solidworks recognizes its mouse3 regardless of brand/model.

I am just wondering if there is a way to input Mouse4, mouse5, mouse6 etc. into the commands menu, I know there are mouse gestures, but this isnt a mouse gesture its an actual mouse button.

There's only keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures, what happened to mouse buttons?

C'mon Im not asking for too much am I ?

• Re: The mouse-issue
          Glenn Schroeder

As far as I know, the only type of mouse that you can program specifically for SolidWorks is the 3d mouse for your left hand, such as the ones from 3dConnexion.  And if you use SW much I highly recommend getting one.

David Boydston

Wow, thats pretty lame. I personally hate the 3dConnexion (maybe I need more time to get used to) but I've used the navigator and I was really uncomfortable using it.

I'm assuming people have informed Dassault systems about this? I am sure its a recurring issue, please tell me 2013 fixed this

Josh Brady

Mouse 1, 2, and 3 are recognized by Windows.  Any additional buttons send commands per your mouse driver.  Windows doesn't know you pressed Mouse4, it just receives the command from the mouse driver that it's programmed to give when you hit that button.  Different mouse drivers have different capabilities.  Some of them are capable of sending different commands depending on what program is active, so that the button has a different effect in Chrome than it does in Excel.  Some drivers even let YOU customize what action each button takes in each program.

It sounds like your mouse driver has the capability to bind the buttons to different commands, but not on a per-program basis.  My current Logitech MX518 driver didn't come with that per-program capability.  I had to use UberOptions to hack it and get that capability.  You may need a new mouse, or a new driver.

Glenn Schroeder

David Boydston wrote:

Wow, thats pretty lame. I personally hate the 3dConnexion (maybe I need more time to get used to) but I've used the navigator and I was really uncomfortable using it.

The Navigator is the one I have.  It did take some time to get used to, but it was well worth the effort.  Especially when mating parts in an assembly.  Whenever I need to sit down at a computer that doesn't have it I find myself reaching for it anyway.  If you have one available I would encourage you to give it a chance/