1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 3:30 PM by Jared Conway

Nonlinear Study - Vector plot display bug?

Peter MacDonald

Hi,

When comparing principal stress vector plots from a nonlinear study against those from a linear study, it seems that the nonlinear vector plots are displaying incorrectly.

The simulation setups are identical. As you can see from the attached pictures, the vector directions on the nonlinear results are all following the same direction, which is clearly not correct for my model.

Other than the strange vectors, the results of the linear and nonlinear studies are pretty much as expected.

I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation that this is a bug and not a misinterpretation or mistake on my part.

I'm using 2012 SP.5 Education version. I don't have access to the KB to check if this version has ever been linked to such problems.

Thanks

• Re: Nonlinear Study - Vector plot display bug?
          Jared Conway

"clearly not correct for my model"

what makes linear correct and nonlinear incorrect?

have you tested a model with known results? this would help understand better if it is your expectations that are wrong or the software is wrong. right now it is a 50/50 chance until you have something to compare it against. since we don't know anything about your analysis, it isn't possible to make a guess if you're right or if the software is right. but theoretically both should be the same if the loading is exactly the same.

i believe this topic has come up a couple of times and that in the older version of solidworks there was an issue with this. so posting your model might be good to have someone run a newer version.

if you're going to a university/college right now, they should have the latest and greatest version to check against.