AnsweredAssumed Answered

No Penetration Troubleshoot

Question asked by Robert Fichera on Jul 1, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 by Shaun Densberger

Hi there,

I am running an assembly simulation.  Initially, I used a globally bonded contact for my assembly - and the simulation was succesful as expected.  Now, the only thing I altered was a no penetration contact set between two bodies.  I know that local contact sets will override the global contact - so I know that my contact sets are valid.  The ONLY thing I changed was switching from a bonded contact, to a no pentratino contact.  Understand that where I applied this setting I am using a bolted connection - therefore solidworks requires a no penetration contact between those two faces.  Now when I try to run the study, the solver will never finish the simulation.  I will usually be prompted with "Cannot create master control file" or more recently "solver encountered numerical difficulties".  I have no idea why this is happening.  The study will run for well over an hour before I prompt with anything.

If it makes my question easier to answer, I using a curvature based mesh (relatively coarse for a good baseline study) with a max size of 15mm, min size of 3mm(more of less, cant remember), # of tetrahedrons per hole of 10, and a growth ratio of 1.3  I have no issues meshing the assembly.

Please help!

Thank you!

Outcomes