5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 2:48 PM by Deepak Gupta

I need help defining the actions of this code

Alex Beaulier

Here's what I have and what i have defined. Everything that I have as #not sure about this is what I don't understand. I want to learn the SolidWorks API code and I don't know what certain definitions and tasks are doing in this macro. The yellow highlighted part is the code. Thanks again for any help.

Option Explicit   #Not sure yet

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks                            #This defines the application as Solidworks

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2                  #This defines swModel as the Solidworks model document

Dim swSketchMgr As SldWorks.SketchManager                                 #This defines swSketchMgr as the sketch manager for creating sketches in SolidWorks

Dim swExcel As Excel.Application                               #This defines swExcel as the Microsoft Excel application

Dim exSheet As Excel.Worksheet #This defines the excel spreadsheet as the document to use in the macro for exporting numbers for Solidworks to use

Dim i As Integer                                #This defines i as an integer to use for various tasks

Dim xpt As Double                           #Not sure about this part yet

Dim ypt As Double                           #Not sure about this part yet

Dim zpt As Double #Not sure about this part yet

Dim xpt1 As Double #Not sure about this part yet

Dim ypt1 As Double                        #Not sure about this part yet

Dim zpt1 As Double                        #Not sure about this part yet

Sub main() #sets apart the definitions from the actual applications procedures or commands

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks                        #Sets up the application

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc                          #Prepares to use the active document for the entity to which the properties will act in

If swModel Is Nothing Then                     #Is a double check procedure to make sure an active document is open for editing

MsgBox "Please activate a part document before using this macro."                                                 #is a warning from the macro application to the user on why it will not function

Exit Sub                        #Exits the current set of commands in the macro and returns to an offline state until the user changes the error so the next run will execute the macro properly

End If                                 #Ends the if command loop

If swModel.GetType <> 1 Then                             #Not sure

MsgBox "Please activate a part document before using this macro."

Exit Sub                        #Exits the current set of commands in the macro and returns to an offline state until the user changes the error so the next run will execute the macro properly

End If                 #Ends the If command loop

If Not swModel.GetActiveSketch2 Is Nothing Then                                    #Not sure yet

MsgBox "Please exit the sketch before running this macro."                               #is a warning from the macro application to the user on why it will not function

Exit Sub                        #Exits the current set of commands in the macro and returns to an offline state until the user changes the error so the next run will execute the macro properly

End If                 #Ends the If command loop

#Code has passed the initial tests. Will start the next commands for the macro

Set swExcel = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")                              #Will open up the excel application for the macro

Set exSheet = swExcel.ActiveSheet                                     #Takes the activesheet for importing data

Set swSketchMgr = swModel.SketchManager                                #Sets the sketch manager open in Solidworks

swModel.ClearSelection2 True                                              #Clears any selection the mouse is clicked on

swModel.SketchManager.Insert3DSketch True             #Is activating the 3D sketch for Solidworks

swModel.SetAddToDB True                                                    #Not sure yet

i = 1                                                                                                        #Defines the integer i as 1

Do While exSheet.Cells(i, 1).Value <> ""                          #Not sure yet

xpt = exSheet.Cells(i, 1).Value / 1000                              #Takes the excel spreadsheet i-A and divides its value by 1000 for the x1-point

ypt = exSheet.Cells(i, 2).Value / 1000                              #Takes the excel spreadsheet i-B and divides its value by 1000 for the y1-point

zpt = exSheet.Cells(i, 3).Value / 1000                              #Takes the excel spreadsheet i-C and divides its value by 1000 for the z1-point

xpt1 = exSheet.Cells(i, 4).Value / 1000                           #Takes the excel spreadsheet i-D and divides its value by 1000 for the x2-point

ypt1 = exSheet.Cells(i, 5).Value / 1000                           #Takes the excel spreadsheet i-E and divides its value by 1000 for the y2-point

zpt1 = exSheet.Cells(i, 6).Value / 1000                            #Takes the excel spreadsheet i-F and divides its value by 1000 for the z2-point

swModel.SketchManager.CreateLine xpt, ypt, zpt, xpt1, ypt1, zpt1                                 #Creates a line based on the values from the above commands

i = i + 1                                  #defines the next i value as i+1 so the next column will be selected as 2-A 2-B ect

Loop                                      #defines the loop so the command starts again at i=current value at end of the loop when 1 is added from the previous step

swModel.ViewZoomtofit2                       #Zooms the Solidwork application to fit the view of all the line segments drawn

swModel.SetAddToDB False                  #Not sure yet

swModel.ClearSelection                           #Clears the selection manager from the current operation

swModel.SketchManager.Insert3DSketch True                             #Not quite sure yet

swModel.ClearSelection2 True                              #Clears the selection manager

End Sub                                #Ends the macro

• Re: I need help defining the actions of this code
          Jason Kerns

Hello!

For the data types you can find the Visual Basic Reference or help to understand.

Data type

Storage size

Range

Byte

1 byte

0 to 255

Boolean

2 bytes

True or False

Integer

2 bytes

-32,768 to 32,767

Long
          (long integer)

4 bytes

-2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647

LongPtr
          (Long integer on 32-bit systems, LongLong integer on 64-bit systems)

4-bytes on 32-bit systems, 8-bytes on 64-bit systems.

-2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647 on 32-bit systems, -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 on 64-bit systems.

LongLong
          (LongLong integer)

8 bytes

-9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 (Valid on 64-bit platforms only.)

Single
          (single-precision floating-point)

4 bytes

-3.402823E38 to -1.401298E-45 for negative values; 1.401298E-45 to 3.402823E38 for positive values

Double
          (double-precision floating-point)

8 bytes

-1.79769313486231E308 to
          -4.94065645841247E-324 for negative values; 4.94065645841247E-324 to 1.79769313486232E308 for positive values

Currency
          (scaled integer)

8 bytes

-922,337,203,685,477.5808 to 922,337,203,685,477.5807

Decimal

14 bytes

+/-79,228,162,514,264,337,593,543,950,335 with no decimal point;
          +/-7.9228162514264337593543950335 with 28 places to the right of the decimal; smallest non-zero number is
          +/-0.0000000000000000000000000001

Date

8 bytes

January 1, 100 to December 31, 9999

Object

4 bytes

Any Object reference

String
          (variable-length)

10 bytes + string length

0 to approximately 2 billion

String
          (fixed-length)

Length of string

1 to approximately 65,400

Variant
          (with numbers)

16 bytes

Any numeric value up to the range of a Double

Variant
          (with characters)

22 bytes + string length

Same range as for variable-length String

User-defined
          (using Type)

• Re: I need help defining the actions of this code
            Deepak Gupta

Option Explicit   Forces explicit declaration of all variables in a file, or allows implicit declarations of variables.

If swModel.GetType <> 1 Then                       Check if the active file is a part file. 1 = Part, 2 = Assembly and 3 = Drawing

swModel.SketchManager.Insert3DSketch True Start a 3d sketch

If Not swModel.GetActiveSketch2 Is Nothing Then       Checks if there is any active sketch

swModel.SetAddToDB True                                           Sets/Start to add sketch entities to the SolidWorks database, For e.g. if you're making a rectangle then

you need to have co-ordinates of four corner points

Do While exSheet.Cells(i, 1).Value <> ""                      will keep  processing the excel row until a cell in the specified row/column is empty

swModel.SetAddToDB False                                           End the process of adding sketch entities to the SolidWorks database

swModel.SketchManager.Insert3DSketch True                Ends the 3d sketch