3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2007 7:17 PM by Vince Adams

Strain gauge feature....????

Designer Designer
      Hi All....

In the real life, sometimes we use STRAIN GAUGE to check the strain at a location.
      In X,Y,Z direction. I heard that NASTRAN have a feature called Strain Gauge. With that feature, we can input strain or stress base on real measure using STRAIN GAUGE at a specific location in our 3D Model.

Any information, Is cosmos have a feature like that ?

Thank`s

-DD
        • Strain gauge feature....????
          genexxer genexxer
          Is another way of stating the question "Can one make strain a boundary condition?" If so, I don't think so. But I have to really think about it. I know geostar has some features that remind me of this but not in this solver.
            genexxer genexxer
            Also remember that for hyperelastic materials like elastomers, one can use nonlinear material properties and therein supply stretch-strain curves for biaxial, planar and triaxial specimen tests.
              Vince Adams
              I'd be REALLY careful pursuing this approach. I tried it with displacements on a flat plate 20 years ago with reasonable results because the system sought equilibrium based on those enforced locations. A customer of mine tried it with thermocouple data in a static analysis with horrible results. A static analysis will not find the thermal equilibrium based on local temps. With applied strains, you are somewhere in the middle of these and I wouldn't necessarily expect a unique solution from local strain input.
              I don't recall a "strain gage" in all my years of using Nastran (although its been a couple) My guess though is this isn't a BC but a Sensor of sorts to report local strains.
              Your best bet is to make your best BC estimates and adjust within reasons until your strains match. There's a COSMOS Companion with some tips for doing this in the archive at www.solidworks.com/Companion