3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 3:07 AM by Philip Lane

unanticipated, non-repeatable, non-RX-able events.

Philip Lane

We have around 25 users all with approved/certified hardware, drivers etc and most of the problems we have are of several generic types of unanticipated, non-repeatable and therefore non-RX-able crashes, hangs, EPDM read/write fails which then cause SW to hang/crash....and so on.

As there is little or no chance of recording such events, VARs & SW don't want to know.

But......and I'm sure this happens just about everywhere.....there are 'generic' types of fails which must be known, and a good idea known of what is causing them.

Especially of the type caused by the interaction of SW with Windows 7 etc.

One of the worst common types we get is SW crashing while checking in/out of EPDM. It must happen several times each day.

Another is the common fail of SW minimized windows not maximizing from the Task Bar - A common Windows / Solidworks Aero Theme fail.

Is there a K.B. or a forum or a logging process to deal/highlight/process such not-acceptable regularly occurring events? Or am I really asking too much?

Thank you.

• Re: unanticipated, non-repeatable, non-RX-able events.
          Alan Sweetenham

If they haven't done already your VAR can ask Solidworks to look at the performance feedback reports from the offending manchines to see if there is a pattern. This is presuming under Tools -> Options -> General -> “Help make SolidWorks products better by automatically sending your log files to DS SolidWorks Corporation”.

No guarantees there will be something useful in the logs but i have had sucess in the past. Also even an rx after the crash can contain some useful info (just don't record a video, package the files instead) at worst it would give your VAR/SOLIDWORKS the windows logs which can be useful.

You are probably on the right track when you say it is some interaction with windows, 6 years working in SOLIDWORKS support has taught me it's often a windows prerquisite such as .Net framework, c++ etc. Your VAR/ SW Support should be able to reccomend what to try next though .

Alan

• Re: unanticipated, non-repeatable, non-RX-able events.
            Jerry Steiger

Phil,

Given that a common failure is on check in/out, I would be suspicious of your network.

Jerry S.