AnsweredAssumed Answered

Repeatedly using sketch parts

Question asked by James Allen on Jun 30, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 by Mark Kaiser

Hi

Apologies if this has been answered before, I tried searching but could be using incorrect terminology.

I am designing an object with 2 parts that will be varied. There are two separate parts that vary throughout the designs. For simplicity I will call them A-E and 1-7. For this design I need to combine all the parts in all possible ways, so part A and part 1 make one complete design, B and 1 another and so on all the way through to E and 7.

I have saved the design, which are only sketches, into the design library so I can add the two parts together with one as a derived part.

The problem is that when the two parts are added together I then need to add a pair of splines between the two parts specific to the configuration. For example A1 and A3 will have different splines. After the splines are added I then want to start sweeping the framework of the object but through both parts. I cannot add sketch entities from the derived part to the sweep curve, or create a composite curve involving sketch entities from the derived part.

Is there a way to simply add the second part not as a derived part but just as more 3d sketch lines all in one go? I try copying and pasting but I have to do each sketch line individually then realign to where it should be.

Thanks

(I am using SolidWorks 2013)

Outcomes