1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 10:19 PM by Brian McEwen

Issues with Toolbox Parts + Configurations

Braden MacDonald

Hey Everyone,

If you saw my last post about Managing Versions of Revisions, this post covers the real problem. The posts I got from others over there were very helpful for Cold Storage Schema's.

Today I sat down with my boss again and we discussed the issue on a deeper level. The issues he's having deal with Toolbox parts, not drawings.

Facts:

• We use the toolbox in SolidWorks.
      • The toolbox we are using was set up off of a personal toolbox off of one of the employees computers.
      • Our parts inside of the toolbox are configured to use configuration files rather than configured as part files.
      • The indivdual toolbox files are setup for read only, except for the Admin and the Librarian. However, every time a user puts lets say a bolt in an assembly, the bolt revisions. That's odd to us because the toolbox file cannot be checked out, it can only be used in an assembly UNLESS the Admin or Librarian make changes to the part.
      • We are running SolidWorks 2014 with EPDM 2013 on a Windows 7 Workstation. That will change Monday to a real server with Windows Server 2010, SolidWorks and EPDM 2014.

Theorys:

• Our first theory is that there is a setting somewhere in EPDM that we missed that is causing these parts to still version, even though we set them to read-only.
      • Our second theory is that if we switch our toolbox files from using configurations to creating part files that the versioning will stop.
      • Our third theory is that once we move from a workstation to a server that the versioning will stop because there may be more features when using a server that will prevent the versioning from happenening.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Re: Issues with Toolbox Parts + Configurations
          Brian McEwen

I was kinda baffled by the way your other thread ended up.  It is a bit less mysterious since the SolidWorks Toolbox is involved. I've heard of many different problems with it, and I know Toolbox parts behave differently than normal .sldprt files.  Some users even gave up on it and went to a more home brewed toolbox system.  I've also heard it has gotten better. However, I haven't used it in years.  What version of SolidWorks and EPDM are you using?  

If it is true that parts are being versioned (which requires check-in) without being checked-out, then something is seriously wrong. That is pretty much the failure of EPDM's reason to exist.  

Is it possible users are just doing check-out-in on accident (and permissions are not set as intended)? You may need to summon a VAR. Otherwise, you would probably need to provide a lot more detail if you want help here (screenshots are helpful). When exactly are the Toolbox parts being versioned (on check-in of the assembly? only on certain change state transitions). What does the History look like on one of these components? ...But since I'm unfamiliar with the details of SW Toolbox I'm not the man for this job.  Good luck.