6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 10:36 AM by Fabio Lessa

(Some) Drafting Standard Options Do NOT Save

Michael Wade

This is going to be a bit "ranty" because this has been irritating me for years and apparently no one at SW thinks it should be fixed or has never noticed it.  Drafting Standards (.sldstd).  Why, oh why, do changes in the Document Properties tab not remain saved and instead revert back to some SW default (this applies to drawings, parts, and assemblies)?  For example, if I go to the Drafting Standard/Annotations/Weld Symbols section and change the “Root Inside Font” to Arial from Century Gothic, the change will appear to be saved.  Save the file, close it, reopen it, and guess what?  It’s Century Gothic again!

This prevents me from a) making complete templates for my company and b) prevents me from creating a Drafting Standards file (.sldstd) to update legacy data because all the settings don’t register – only most.  This means I have to edit the irritating variables in every new file built off this template.  Irritating isn’t a strong enough word.

Another irritant is any change made to the sections Drafting Standard, Detailing, Drawing Sheets, Grid/Snap, and Sheet Metal under the Document Properties tab never registers with the open file that something has changed.  What I mean is, when you modify a SW file, it appends an asterisk to the document name along the top bar of the window to let the user know something has changed – but not when something is changed in these sections.  Don’t believe me, go ahead and try it.  Change your default font size for annotations and there will be no asterisk after you “OK” out of the settings window.  If it works for you, then I’ve had issues with every computer I’ve ran SW on for the past several years.

Puhlease fix this.  Or clue me in to what I’m missing because I pride myself on being a pretty damn good template builder and working around these issues eats hours of my time.  Rant over.

I'm on SW 2014 SP2.0 but I've seen these issues on many many previous revs.

Thanks,

• Re: (Some) Drafting Standard Options Do NOT Save
          John Reese

Mike,

Did you get any resolve on the drafting standards save?   I cannot save things out of Century Gothic either...some seem to take...others flip back to that   #$%^ century gothic font.

Just upgraded from 2012 to 2015 a few weeks ago.

I am losing my mind trying to figure out where the font for my first revision line is.    Now this line is  coming in as century gothic 8 pt instead of arial 12 point....   It seems like that "Root inside font" is set to century gothic 8 pt....

Soi did you fix it or just been living with it for a year?

John

Michael Wade

No resolution pre-2015.  We just upgraded to 2015 SP2.0 a week ago from 2014 and have been having a barrel of fun with the bugs in that.  I haven't messed with the drafting standards in 2015 yet.  Be aware that SP2.1 is supposed to be released sometime this week (week of March 9) to fix some critical issues.

John Reese

Mike,

Did a go to meeting with our VAR and I had him try to change the "root inside font" as well as under "views" and "views - other"   - cannot get it to change from century gothic - kind of surprised him.

He could not figure out my revision line problem either.  

He has submitted both to Solidworks for clarification - I will let you know what he finds.

The other gotcha I have is we use a fair amount of virtual parts within assemblies....these did not get upgraded when I migrated all my files...so we get warnings that all files are not up to the current version.   They submitted this to SW as well.

We are working away in SW2015  - other than those issues not any more stable or less stable than 2012.  So my users are not ready to kill me yet for upgrading.

Good luck and stay tuned.

John

John Southwick

I've been having exactly the same issue in SW Professional 2015 x64 SP 2.1.  It's very frustrating and I can't even save a template because of it.

Arie Van Gelderen

I'm having the same problem in SW2015 SP3. The 'root inside font' is still not saved in the drawing standard (.sldstd) or the part template (.prtdot).

I found SPR # 854970: Changes to weld symbol Root Inside font in drafting standards not preserved when loading saved standard file (always century gothic font)

It is not yet fixed.

Fabio Lessa

I have the same problem. I use SW 2015 SP2.
                    I use the same custom Drafting Standard file for Drawings, Parts and Assemblies (and I think it should be this way).

The image below shows one example of custom property that has suffered regression. When I reopen the same file I just saved customized, it comes back to standard again!

View properties regression.jpg