4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2018 10:18 AM by Todd Blacksher

Using SolidWorks for ISO 5006

Greg Johnson

Has anyone used SolidWorks document the ISO 5006, Earth-moving Machinery, Operators Field of View standard? Currently we are documenting our machines using manual methods and Draftsight. Currently this process is quite time consuming but we could save a great deal of time completing this task in SolidWorks.

Thank you

Greg Johnson

• Re: Using SolidWorks for ISO 5006
          Greg Johnson

It has been 4 years since I originally posted this topic, does anyone have any ideas?

Ken Maren

Greg,

Would a combination of SolidWorks and Composer make this easier?   I don't have access to the document for ISO 5006, but it seems similar to something I did for aircraft lighting.   I modeled beam spread from a light source to show customers an illumination pattern.   Doing a Google image search makes me think that taking this task out of SolidWorks seems like an awkward process.  

Josh Brady

Similarly to Ken, (and probably everyone else) I have no idea what ISO 5006 is other than image search, but here's my dumb idea... If you have a rendering package (PhotoWorks or PhotoView360 or Visualize or whatever it's called these days) could you get that using a single point light source in the cab and doing a render?  As long as you don't have shiny surfaces you should get a shadow everywhere that the operator couldn't see, right?  (Here's where the rendering guys chime in and I learn how ignorant I am...)

Todd Blacksher

Josh Brady wrote:

Similarly to Ken, (and probably everyone else) I have no idea what ISO 5006 is other than image search, but here's my dumb idea... If you have a rendering package (PhotoWorks or PhotoView360 or Visualize or whatever it's called these days) could you get that using a single point light source in the cab and doing a render? As long as you don't have shiny surfaces you should get a shadow everywhere that the operator couldn't see, right? (Here's where the rendering guys chime in and I learn how ignorant I am...)

I'm not a rendering guy, so I think that is a brilliant concept . . .