21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2017 11:03 AM by Ross Warren

Lock Rotation in right-click drop-down

Glenn Schroeder

I just found this.  Am I the only one who didn't know about it?

lock rotation.png

• Re: Lock Rotation in right-click drop-down
          Ian Worrall

It also show up if you right-click the "Mates" feature at the bottom of the tree, letting you lock or unlock ALL your concentric mates in one go.

Deepak Gupta

Yes I use it sometimes to lock/unlock from there. As Ian mentioned, RMB on mates will give you option to lock/unlock all but if there are mates error, then you won't see the option on RMB.

Andrew Kronquist

I found it in the menu when I also found that lock rotation doesn't carry through during Copy With Mates. I also noticed that Lock Rotation now completes mating so I don't have a bunch of (why did that happen?) minus symbols in my feature tree. I still think Copy With Mates is now backwards after they "improved" it.

Glenn Schroeder

Andrew Kronquist:

I found it in the menu when I also found that lock rotation doesn't carry through during Copy With Mates. I also noticed that Lock Rotation now completes mating so I don't have a bunch of (why did that happen?) minus symbols in my feature tree. I still think Copy With Mates is now backwards after they "improved" it.

Eliminating the ( - ) in front of components was the whole reason for the Lock Rotate option.  To fully define components without a third mate.  I'm not sure this answers your question?

Andrew Kronquist

The lock rotation will fully define the mates, but it doesn't carry through during Copy With Mates. I still have to go through all the parts and lock them individually. Actually, what I do is fully define the first part, and lock its rotation to a plane then do Copy With Mates. It's faster than going back and locking rotation on all the parts.

Glenn Schroeder

Andrew Kronquist:

The lock rotation will fully define the mates, but it doesn't carry through during Copy With Mates. I still have to go through all the parts and lock them individually. Actually, what I do is fully define the first part, and lock its rotation to a plane then do Copy With Mates. It's faster than going back and locking rotation on all the parts.

I agree that the locked rotation concentric mate should carry through when using Copy with Mates, but you don't need to go through all of them and lock them individually.  You can right-click on the Mates folder in the tree and Lock all concentric mates with one click.  (See Ian's reply above.)

Andrew Kronquist

I just tried the Lock Rotation (all) from the mates folder and found something disturbing. Everything was mated until I moved the distance of the connector a little bit. After that all my pins showed ( - ) AND locked. I had to unlock and lock to fully mate them. Next, I started to re-mate the pins to a plane. I removed the locks, and when I restarted SW after it crashed I locked them to a plane. Now I can move the connector back and forth without hurting the mates. Also, when locking the pins to a plane I noticed the connector rotated too. The connector had been Locked Rotation and still shows that it's fully mated and can't be moved, so why did it rotate?

I don't think Lock Rotation is ready for prime time yet. I also wish SW would fix their Copy with Mates so it wasn't so "backward working".

Untitled.png

Matt Weiker

Hello Andrew. I just used the "Lock Concentric Location" command from right click menu of the mates folder in the feature tree and it locked all of my fasteners. If you end up having to do the copy with mates thing for some components, open the menu again and reselect the "Lock Concentric Location" command to lock the new components.

Franklin Bulley

I think that it would be a great asset if the lock rotation was set as a default and if you didn't want it locked have the box to check when mating (reverse of what SolidWorks has now). I would almost bet that 99% of the time it is a we have to lock it, as a matter of fact it is 100% of the time I have to go thru the steps just to lock it.

So what do you think everyone? Do you think that we can get SolidWorks to switch this(having locked rotation as the default and unlock it by checking the box)

Matt Weiker

Hello Franklin,

I would rather its default setting be an option that you could set. Even if 99% want it one way, there is always that other 1% lol

Glenn Schroeder

Franklin Bulley:

I think that it would be a great asset if the lock rotation was set as a default and if you didn't want it locked have the box to check when mating (reverse of what SolidWorks has now). I would almost bet that 99% of the time it is a we have to lock it, as a matter of fact it is 100% of the time I have to go thru the steps just to lock it.

So what do you think everyone? Do you think that we can get SolidWorks to switch this(having locked rotation as the default and unlock it by checking the box)

No, I don't think it should be switched.  As I showed above, you can lock all the concentric mates for an assembly with two clicks.  I think that's easy enough.  Also, there are cases (as Andrew mentioned) where the user won't want them locked.

Ross Warren

Andrew Kronquist wrote:

I found it in the menu when I also found that lock rotation doesn't carry through during Copy With Mates.

Well, here it is late 2017 and using Lock Rotation with Copy With Mates STILL doesn’t work.  If I lock, say a cable clip in place, but then try copying it with mates, it ROTATES about the axis as it copies.  That is just dumb.  If I am copying something with mates, it should maintain all of those mates in place, and lock the rotation of the clip in EXACTLY the same orientation as the original with respect to the X, Y, and Z axes.

Does anyone know a fix for this? Otherwise Locking Rotation is pretty useless as a mate. (Except maybe for fasteners like screws where you don't care if they rotate about their axis when copied with mates).

Glenn Schroeder

Ross Warren wrote:

Andrew Kronquist wrote:

I found it in the menu when I also found that lock rotation doesn't carry through during Copy With Mates.

Well, here it is late 2017 and using Lock Rotation with Copy With Mates STILL doesn’t work. If I lock, say a cable clip in place, but then try copying it with mates, it ROTATES about the axis as it copies. That is just dumb. If I am copying something with mates, it should maintain all of those mates in place, and lock the rotation of the clip in EXACTLY the same orientation as the original with respect to the X, Y, and Z axes.

Does anyone know a fix for this? Otherwise Locking Rotation is pretty useless as a mate. (Except maybe for fasteners like screws where you don't care if they rotate about their axis when copied with mates).

I can't speak for others, but in my case the orientation rarely matters, so I'd strongly disagree with the highlighted statement above.  Since it sounds like that's not true for you, I'd suggest positioning the Part as needed with an additional Mate that would carry over when using Copy with Mates instead of using the Lock Rotation feature.

Ross Warren

Yeah, I'll still use it for screws and rivets and such, but like you suggested for actual OBJECTS where their orientation matters, I'll mate parallel to a plane I guess, so they'll not ROTATE when copied with mates.  I still see no reason that this happens unless the programmer thought it'd be cute if all the screw heads weren't in the same orientation or something.   Jeez...  Thanks.